NFL training camp previews for all 32 teams.

Search

Handicapper
Tokens
DHbwScZXgAAWE4W.jpg

Handicapper
Tokens
Bucs seek progress in red zone, secondary and from backup QB vs. Jags.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- After two days of joint practices in Jacksonville, Thursday the Tampa Bay Buccaneers face the Jaguars on ESPN in their second preseason game. It's a good opportunity to work toward cleaning up some of the issues they had last week against the Cincinnati Bengals, like red zone and poor tackling from some of their backups on defense.
It will also help answer questions about their offensive line, a secondary that has suddenly been hit by the injury bug, their backup quarterback situation and their new kicker.

Red zone
Quarterback Jameis Winston moved the ball with ease last week on the opening drive against the Bengals despite starting from his own 6-yard line, completing 5 of 6 passes for 79 yards. But he failed to hit Mike Evans twice in the end zone on a pair of fade routes.
"Me and Mike Evans cannot get inside the 2-yard line and not connect on two straight attempts," said Winston, who did not throw a touchdown pass in the opener. "That's the only negative I take from the game."
After a sluggish practice Monday, which head coach Dirk Koetter said "wasn't very good," Winston and Evans hooked up for several touchdowns. Evans caught a toe-tapper in the corner of the end zone and made a one-handed grab in one-on-ones against cornerback Solomon Patmon, who's been getting a lot of work in the absence of A.J. Bouye.
It should be noted that DeSean Jackson, who has been nursing a sore ankle did very little Tuesday, so he could very well be held out.

Offensive line
Last week it was Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson. This week, the Bucs' offensive line will be tested again, and if you need proof, watch the first brawl that broke out on Tuesday between these two units.
Left tackle Donovan Smith will face defensive end Yannick Ngakoue, who had the second-most sacks of any rookie last season. With consistency being his biggest issue, this is a great test for Smith. Center Ali Marpet will also have his hands full against Malik Jackson -- there was some great competition between those two in one-on-ones.

Cornerback depth
Veteran cornerback Brent Grimes likely won't play again as he's still recovery from his lacerated shin, which means Ryan Smith is expected to get a lot more reps once again.
If you caught a glimpse of practice Tuesday, when Smith lined up against Allen Hurns, you'll see he needs that experience. He didn't play a single defensive snap last season and spent the season practicing with the safeties.
Vernon Hargreaves III can also continue to build his confidence after that goal-line interception he had last week on the first defensive series. He faces a tough challenge against Allen Robinson, who made a really nice catch against him on a deep ball down the right sideline Tuesday.

Backup quarterback
Ryan Fitzpatrick might have scored on a 6-yard touchdown run in the second quarter last week, but he looked downright dreadful when, in a single offensive series, he was nearly picked off, fumbled and then was picked off.
In practice, Ryan Griffin has looked liked the stronger No. 2 option, but he's now out for several weeks with a sprained AC joint in his shoulder. Either way, it's become quite clear that the Bucs really can't afford to lose Winston this season.

Kicker
Nick Folk was awarded the job this week after Roberto Aguayo missed a field goal and an extra point attempt. General manager Jason Licht praised Folk's mental makeup and his ability to nail kicks in games, even when his practices aren't perfect. A perfect performance Thursday could go a long way in restoring Bucs' fans faith in that position.

Handicapper
Tokens
AC in the AM: Starters Back In Spotlight Tonight.

It is time for the next step.
A week ago in the preseason opener against the Falcons, it was mostly about the younger players. It was their moment to show that further evaluation was warranted. But tonight against Baltimore at Hard Rock Stadium, the focus shifts toward the veterans and continuing to build toward the start of the regular season, now just a few precious weeks away.
The feeling is that the veterans will play at least a quarter, perhaps slightly more, after playing just a series or so against the Falcons. Next week, in the third preseason game, they’ll amp it up even more, probably playing all of the first half and, in some cases, into the third quarter. That’s usually all we see of the most prominent veterans in preseason games.
Which makes tonight important. It is imperative that this team has a strong September and the seeds for that are usually planted in August. The starting lineup must come together. The reserves must learn their roles. Communication must be refined and the new players, both rookies and free agents who figure to play right away, must develop a comfort zone with their teammates. You take steps in that direction all during training camp. But you need games to know that it’s working.
We’re not looking for any earth-shattering developments tonight. By the time the second quarter is halfway over, I expect we’ll see most of the younger players on the field. But that first quarter or so will provide a measuring stick for the veterans. How much more work do they need? Who looks in regular season form? Where are the concerns? The positives? What needs to be the emphasis in practice next week?
All of these questions in some form should be answered tonight.
I’m sure most of the attention will center on quarterback Jay Cutler and rightfully so. Barring a last minute change of mind by Adam Gase, I expect we’ll see Cutler for at least one or two series.
The importance of these next two preseason games for Cutler has nothing to do with learning the offense. You can already check that box off your list of concerns. He knew this offense when Gase was in Chicago and he’s already absorbed the few things that have changed since.
The importance now is learning his receivers. Where does DeVante Parker like the ball? How sharp does Jarvis Landry make his cuts? What’s second gear for Kenny Stills? How high can he get away throwing it to Julius Thomas? Cutler has answered some of those questions in practice. But until you play a game, until you’re going live against another team, do you really know for sure? So if Cutler plays, it’s hard to imagine him not being tonight’s major story. But he won’t be the only story. What else do I want to see? Five things quickly come to mind.
Which rookies take another step? Five draft picks will play tonight and all have a chance of contributing as rookies. It starts with No. 1 pick Charles Harris, a defensive end, continues with cornerback Cordrea Tankersley, offensive guard Isaac Asiata and finally a pair of defensive tackles in Davon Godchaux and Vincent Taylor. Harris has already shown me plenty, but I need to see more from both Tankersley and Asiata. As for Godchaux and Taylor, they have both had impressive camps with Godchaux spending the last two weeks lining up with the first team defense. At this point, what we’re looking for is a continuation of what we’ve already seen.
What about the rushing defense? This was a huge theme entering training camp and it remains that way today. Up until now, we haven’t seen the first team defense together long enough to properly gauge improvement in the rushing defense. That should change against the Ravens, I’m especially interested to see how the three starting linebackers – Kiko Alonso, Lawrence Timmons and Mike Hull – work together in the base defense. They will have so much to do with improving a rushing defense that ranked 30th in the league a season ago.
An impressive moment from Julius Thomas: It has been a relatively quiet preseason for the talented tight end, a free agent acquisition. While that’s no cause for concern for a veteran like Thomas, I wouldn’t mind seeing a one or two play reminder of how special he can be. Got a feeling we’ll see his number called at least a few times against the Ravens.
More of Jakeem Grant: I know I mentioned him last week, but his continued progress is important to this team. He is so fast and so explosive that he can change the course of a game in less than seven or eight seconds. I’d like to see him cleanly field a few more punts and do something special with at least one of them. I also continue to be intrigued with his switch to wide receiver and, with some injuries at that position, I expect him to get a long look there tonight.
Laremy Tunsil looking comfortable: We haven’t heard much from Tunsil in training camp, but his successful switch to left tackle remains one of the keys to the success of this offense. He’ll get his first extended minutes tonight and his importance only increases with Cutler at quarterback, given that Cutler just isn’t as mobile as Ryan Tannehill. You expect the Ravens will challenge Tunsil with a variety of looks. Interested to see how he handles it.

Handicapper
Tokens
Blake Bortles on arm: 'It feels good, I'll be all right'

DHbg8VRXgAAmr1p.jpg

Blake Bortles got some rest for his weary arm over the weekend as the Jaguars curtailed his snaps after a heavy workload to open camp. The quarterback says his arm is fine despite the needed rest. "My arm is fine," Bortles said Tuesday, via ESPN's Michael DiRocco. "It feels good. I'll be all right."
Bortles has taken heat from everyone -- from coaches, to media, for inconsistent play. The quarterback said to turn his career around entering a pivotal season, the Jags ramped up the preparation.
"I've taken more reps in this camp than probably the last three years all combined," he said. "That was something in talking with coach [Doug] Marrone and coach [Nathaniel] Hackett that I knew they had done that in the past. They had their reasons and philosophies on why they do it. I totally agree with it."
Despite the added reps, Bortles is still having his bouts with struggles. He's had a five-interception practice. There have been good moments for Bortles during camp, but the fourth-year pro knows he needs to limit the miscues by continuing to ramp up the reps.
"We're still making mistakes, and we've had thousands of reps," Bortles said. "Imagine if we only had 500, it would be probably way worse. I think the only way to eliminate those mistakes is continue to do it and continue to do it and continue to correct it in meetings until it's beaten in your head that you know how to do it."
Despite the increased workload this camp, Marrone still sees an inconsistent quarterback.
"I think when anyone asks me about someone's ability, and a lot of times that comes with the quarterback, they are always like, 'Hey, where are you? How did his week go? Are you happy with him?'" Marrone said. "I think for me personally, I'm always trying to get more, so for me I'm one of those guys that it's hard for me to say. There are some throws that I'll think, 'Hey, that's a good throw,' and then I'll be like, 'That's a horse s--- throw.' At the end of the day, I'm just trying to get more and get better.
"So we rested him the other day. I thought he came back and really had no issues for these two days [against the Buccaneers]."
A Jacksonville team with the talent to make the playoffs hopes the increased workload -- and reliance on the ground game -- can help morph Bortles into a productive, game-managing quarterback in 2017.

Handicapper
Tokens
What to watch for in Week 2 of NFL preseason.

The first week of the preseason gave us some of the most enjoyable rookie quarterback play we've seen in a warmup in quite some time. Everyone from Mitchell Trubisky to Bills fifth-rounder Nathan Peterman created some memorable moments, generating an appetite for a far more competitive preseason Week 3 slate. Battles are tightening and players near the bottom of the roster are jostling for position.

Here's what we suggest looking out for this week (all times Eastern):

THURSDAY'S GAMES

Bills at Eagles, 7 p.m.

Eagles: The Eagles traded Jordan Matthews to the Bills less than a week ago, in part, for cornerback Ronald Darby. The intrigue for Philly is two-fold: Darby plays against his former team. Fine. But the Eagles also are debuting free-agent prize Alshon Jeffery. While Jeffery's arrival and Matthews' departure are not mutually exclusive (Matthews became trade bait the moment Nelson Agholor flashed promise in the slot), the team is gambling on Jeffery's ability to shoulder a huge amount of work throughout the season. Thursday gives us a front-row seat.

Bills: Who might be guarding Jeffery? Bills first-round pick Tre'Davious White. Bills beat writer Vic Carucci said of White this preseason: "He performed better than Ronald Darby" and "usually wasn't getting beaten on throws." So as we put the puzzle of this trade together, White's emergence made Darby expendable. Now, how will White do against a receiver who made Matthews nearly as expendable in Philadelphia?

Ravens at Dolphins 7 p.m.

Ravens: Last week we suggested keeping an eye out for Ryan Mallett, wondering if he might be hearing footsteps. This week, the team also is armed with fellow veteran backup Thad Lewis. The backup quarterback slot is going to be a lingering discussion over the coming weeks, especially if Colin Kaepernick remains available. But this week, let's focus on something highlighted by the Baltimore Sun -- the real problem. Tons of offensive line combinations have already been used. Raiders castoff Austin Howard is making a start against Miami. Can they find stability in a few quarters of work?

Dolphins: Sorry to grasp at the obvious storyline here, but Jay Cutler is making his preseason debut for the Dolphins. Nothing in coach Adam Gase's universe will be more important than how Cutler handles his first few throws against a very good Ravens defense. Miami's season hinges on Cutler's ability to make this work, plain and simple.

Buccaneers at Jaguars 8 p.m. (Live on ESPN)

Buccaneers: More Mike Evans. Because of the market he plays in and the comparisons to other receivers in his class, he'll never be fully appreciated outside of Florida. And yet, in a preseason game last weekend he's already knifing between two defenders and pulling in a tight grab by the sideline from Jameis Winston. One has to appreciate players who don't turn it off and on when the games don't count.

Jaguars: I'm not alone in thinking the pressure on Blake Bortles is starting to mount. Not the we'll bench you for Chad Henne pressure, but the internal pressure Bortles is placing on himself. Every poor practice throw is now magnified. Every wobbly pass that was once part of his progression is now part of his ultimate burden. He'll be under the magnifying glass against a good Buccaneers starting defense. While that makes for good theater, it also creates pressure on the new Jags coaching staff to harness the frustration and use it for good.

Handicapper
Tokens
FRIDAY'S GAME

Vikings at Seahawks, 10 p.m. (Live on NFL Network)

Seahawks: As crazy as it sounds, I want to see more Trevone Boykin. Boykin was fantastic against the Chargers last weekend, completing 12 of 15 passes for 189 yards and a touchdown. If you are the Seahawks, there are plenty of young players to keep an eye on, including Shaquill Griffin. I'm interested in the player who is legitimizing Seattle's decision at backup quarterback. We saw a year ago how hampered the offense can be when Russell Wilson is injured -- here's a look at what's on deck if the unfortunate happens.

Vikings: I would watch for more of Dalvin Cook in the passing game. The more the Florida State product becomes acclimated in this offense, the less likely it will be that he ever leaves the field. Cook's four catches in a little over a quarter of action make for a promising scenario in Sam Bradford's world.

Handicapper
Tokens
SATURDAY'S GAMES

Panthers at Titans, 3 p.m. (Live on NFL Network)

Panthers: One of the key elements of Carolina's near-perfect season two years ago (before their Super Bowl collapse) was a semi-reliable, defense-slicing speed receiver. Ted Ginn is in New Orleans now, but the Panthers were gifted an eye-opening four-catch, 98-yard performance from Damiere Byrd against the Texans last week. We'll see how Byrd plays with a target on his back, but even in an offense supposedly ripe with weapons, his skill set can thrive.

Titans: While the Titans did not put up a touchdown in their preseason-opening loss to the Jets, they did establish a potential young star on defense. Rookie fifth-round pick Jayon Brown led the team in tackles and, according to the team's official site, picked off the Panthers' Joe Webb during joint practices this week. Is he in line for another performance that could pave the way to a role on opening day?

Chiefs at Bengals, 7 p.m.

Chiefs: According to the Kansas City Star, the Chiefs' starting offense will play an entire half, delaying the Patrick Mahomes show until the third quarter. This is good. The closer we get to an entire 60 minutes with starting caliber players, the closer we get to opening kickoff. Mahomes was electric during his preseason debut, which sparked a tweetstorm from colleague Marc Sessler about the Chiefs' so-called sit-and-wait plan.
Coach Andy Reid might be a little more patient than Sessler, but could we see a little heat under Alex Smith this time out?

Bengals: Bengals first-round pick John Ross (shoulder) checked into practice for the first time this week. While the Bengals are sure to be careful, it has to be tempting to give Ross a taste of the first-string offense against a great Bob Sutton defense.

Colts at Cowboys, 7 p.m. (Live on NFL Network)

Colts: I loved watching Malik Hooker last week. The first-round pick is a hard hitter and a ball hawk, this much is evident already. This week? I'm interested to put him into context with the entire defense. This is an interesting, completely revamped Colts front that was exploring new ways to get to the quarterback last week against Detroit. General manager Chris Ballard said discovering rush lanes was his number one goal this offseason. Might they show us a little more of the grand plan?

Cowboys: The absence of Dak Prescott rubbed at least a few analysts the wrong way last week. NFL Network analysts Heath Evans and Terrell Davis mentioned Prescott should be getting regular-season reps and has not yet reached the tenured starter level where skipping preseason games is OK. If Prescott doesn't take the field, worry not. The Cowboys are trotting out 2016 second-round pick Jaylon Smith, who caps his incredible road back from a devastating knee injury suffered in his final college game.

Jets at Lions, 7:30 p.m.

Jets: Last week against the Titans, 15 different Jets caught passes. This is important. After letting their top two veterans walk this offseason, the team immediately found itself in a frantic search for pass-catching targets. The audition continues this weekend, with names like ArDarius Stewart, Charone Peake and Chad Hansen leading the way.

Lions: The Greg Robinson audition went as expected last week, and generally well with Matthew Stafford in the game. The Lions tested Robinson early with some deep drops for Stafford, and will continue to work their prospective left tackle throughout the preseason. Despite his "bust" status, I firmly believe there is a great offensive linemen in there. Can Detroit find it?

Packers at Redskins, 7:30 p.m.

Packers: Last week, we wrote about the implementation of the Packers' Nitro defense. Be on the lookout this week for different players vying for linebacker jobs -- specifically all-terrain gigs to handle great pass-catching running backs and tight ends.

Redskins: The Washington Post noted that 2016 first-round pick Josh Doctson could play against the Packers, though it's not entirely clear yet. He's been a man of mystery the Redskins have been waiting a long time to unlock.

Patriots at Texans, 8 p.m.

Patriots: An interesting development from Houston-New England joint practices: According to the Boston Herald, Patriots offensive tackle Marcus Cannon has been handling J.J. Watt quite well. The Herald went as far as to call Watt's moves "shockingly desperate" in an attempt to get to the quarterback. What will happen when the league's ultimate competitor gets under the bright lights?

Texans: Can we see Deshaun Watson make a few more plays in the pocket? It was a joy watching Watson scamper through a tattered Panthers backup secondary last week, though I'm sure coach Bill O'Brien would have loved to see him hang in just a bit more. Make no mistake, Watson's athleticism is what will eventually put him over the edge in this quarterback battle. But he also has a bullet for an arm that nearly connected on a beautiful deep ball during his debut. Let's see more of that.

Broncos at 49ers, 10 p.m. (Live on NFL Network)

Broncos: Paxton Lynch's turn to win the starting job. Although it seems like a Hail Mary at this point, he'll get an opportunity to make this decision difficult for new coach Vance Joseph.

Niners: As NFL Network's Mike Garafolo recently noted on Good Morning Football, Marquise Goodwin could be coach Kyle Shanahan's best kept secret in San Francisco. The former track star did not record a catch in the team's preseason opener, but seeing Brian Hoyer uncork a 70-yard touchdown pass to the former track star could go a long way toward firing up an unsure fan base.

Bears at Cardinals, 10 p.m.

Bears: As the great fictional general manager Sonny Weaver said on Draft Day: "The barbarians are at the gates." In this case, it's area columnists already calling the Mike Glennon-Mitchell Trubisky quarterback competition a sham. While this is ridiculous (Glennon was the only one playing against a first-string defense) a second strong outing from Trubisky is not going to quiet them down.

Cardinals: Who will be calling the plays this week? Bruce Arians' wonderful tradition of promoting hungry assistants and giving them in-game experience rolls on.

Rams at Raiders, 10 p.m.

Rams: A brief Sammy Watkins debut might make some sense here. The Rams have to vacuum seal Jared Goff and Watkins together for the next few weeks in order to create some on-field chemistry.

Raiders: Rookie seventh-round pick Treyvon Hester keeps piling on the sacks. While being the J.J. Watt of warmup games is a time-honored tradition for eventually forgettable players, the Raiders seem to be high on the Toledo product.

SUNDAY'S GAMES

Falcons at Steelers, 4 p.m., (Live on NFL Network)

Falcons: From Falcons beat writer Vaughn McClure: An offensive package with 300-plus pound nose tackle Dontari Poe could "come alive," according to coach Dan Quinn. While it would be silly to burn this during a preseason game, it's always fun for teams to put something on tape just for other teams to worry about.

Steelers: The T.J. Watt hype train has left the station. The first-round pick has relegated James Harrison to spot duty on defense but he'll have to continue earning the job. Harrison isn't punishing his body deep into his 30s just to look good on the sidelines.

Saints at Chargers, 8 p.m. (Live on NFL Network)

Chargers: The debut of Anthony Lynn's offense was actually quite fun to watch. The problem? We have no idea how that offensive line will hold up. A speedy, pass-heavy drive gave no practical window into the troubles L.A. could face once teams figure out how to match up against their diverse set of pass catchers. Hopefully a longer look at the first string will give us some answers.

Saints: According to ESPN.com Saints beat writer Mike Triplett, we should see second-round offensive tackle Ryan Ramczyk make his debut against none other than Joey Bosa. This will be a trial by fire and, if nothing else, an excellent look at a highly regarded offensive lineman in a ho-hum offensive line class.

MONDAY'S GAME

Giants at Browns, 8 p.m. (Live on ESPN)

Giants: There are so many teams with one or two questions on the offensive line that could end up becoming real concerns down the road. The Giants have done this dance with former first-round pick Ereck Flowers in the past, but the stakes are much higher in 2017. His week to week evaluations will continue to be must-reads for Giants fans concerned about the status of their potentially high-flying offense.

Browns: Brock Osweiler is apparently being groomed as Cleveland's starting quarterback but DeShone Kizer looked fantastic last week against the Saints. The quarterback position will continue to be the story until it isn't. Tired of thinking about offense? Watch Jabrill Peppers possibly drop down and play some linebacker or follow Briean Boddy-Calhoun around the field. The 5-foot-9 undrafted free agent could be on his way to a big season in Cleveland. The Browns are quite high on him.

Handicapper
Tokens
DHeoaRmVwAAGUAI.jpg

Handicapper
Tokens
DHejNlxXcAAakP0.jpg

Handicapper
Tokens
DHeu9gdWAAUKeNp.jpg

Handicapper
Tokens
What we learned from Thursday's preseason games.

DHgqiIGXgAAiive.jpg

Swaddled in aqua and white, Jay Cutler on Thursday evening saw his first action as quarterback for the Miami Dolphins.
The sample size was thin, but the veteran passer looked comfortable enough after failing to log a pro start since last November.
Cutler's numbers -- a modest 3-of-6 passing for 24 yards -- are mildly deceiving considering a pretty 31-yard strike to DeVante Parker was wiped out by a holding call. Along the way, Cutler was kept upright save for a wallop that saw him land on his throwing shoulder.
Early concerns on the Cutler front were two-fold: (1) Would he hit the field in football shape after a trifling foray into broadcasting and (2) show any semblance of chemistry with his newfound gaggle of pass-catchers? No major concerns emerged on either front, with Cutler fitting in as well as anything we've seen from the sidelined Ryan Tannehill. Evidence of this came on Cutler's second drive, which failed to deliver points but showcased the quarterback running a no-huddle version of the offense on his first night on the job.
Teams typically reveal sub-zero data during these on-field August rituals, but this appears to be the same Cutler from autumns past. With that comes a rash of positives -- command of the playbook and unusual arm strength -- and a Cutler-esque ceiling bound to haunt the Dolphins in critical moments.
Love him or hate him, this is the Cutler we've known all along -- and, for now, Miami's most important puzzle piece in 2017.

Here's what else we learned during Thursday's preseason action:

1. Starting opposite Cutler, Ryan Mallett (13 of 22 for 113 yards) continued to operate as a mixed bag for the Ravens. Filling in for the back-addled Joe Flacco, Baltimore's backup passer generated 35 yards over his first three drives, with the final of those marches ending with a hazardous deep ball to Quincy Adeboyejo that wound up in the hands of Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard. Mallett bounced back against Miami's backups, putting the team in position for a pair of Justin Tucker field goals before tossing a 1-yard scoring strike to Larry Donnell following a Dolphins blocked punt. It wasn't a complete car crash, with Mallett hitting targets for gains of 8, 9, 11, 11 and 19 yards. Still, he was guilty of missing receivers, throwing short of the sticks, unfurling tipped balls and failing to squelch an aura of discomfort over one of the NFL's most concerning backup quarterback scenarios.

2. The Ravens clearly view Terrance West as their lead back. The fourth-year runner handled six of Baltimore's first eight carries, generating a troubling minus-2 yards off the workload. Buck Allen hit the scene in the second quarter and ran hard for 40 yards off 10 totes, while adding another 16 yards through the air. The loss of Kenneth Dixon will sting this team all season.

3. Tyrod Taylor's evening ended under a cloud. Buffalo's starting quarterback led six drives, generating three punts, a field goal and a pair of ugly picks. The first came off a deflection at his own 10-yard line, but the second was enough to cause Bills fans to toss furniture through living-room windows (if the preseason can elicit such a reaction), with Taylor lobbing an underthrown pass downfield for Anquan Boldin, only to have the ball snatched away by Ronald Darby, the ex-Buffalo cover man traded to the Eagles a week ago. Amid whispers of a down camp for Taylor, Buffalo's starter put up a grisly line that saw him peg 8 of 18 throws at just 2.9 yards per attempt -- good enough for a ghastly passer rating of 12.0.

4. After decisively (and mercifully) parting ways with naif-booter Roberto Aguayo, the Bucs have found rock-solid stability in the kicking game -- right? Wrong. After Tampa drew first blood against Jacksonville with Doug Martin's 2-yard scoring burst, veteran Nick Folk pranced onto the field to cap off the march, only to have the extra point swatted down by tall-as-an-oak Jaguars lineman Calais Campbell. The kicker went on to hit a pair of field goals before botching a 47-yarder, forcing coach Dirk Koetter to shake his head over the dark-arts chaos attached to Tampa's special teams. Folk is a proven leg, but this still feels like one of the most hexed positional groups league-wide.

5. Speaking of Martin, the Bucs back looked sensational for the second straight game, pounding his way for 30 yards off six carries over Tampa's first two drives. The 28-year-old runner galloped with saucy explosion and speed, leading the way for a Bucs attack that outgained the Jaguars 240 yards to 59 over the first two quarters.

6. It was encouraging to see Jameis Winston (21 of 29 for 196 yards) calmly guide Tampa downfield on back-to-back scoring drives to start the night. Still, the promising field-general made an awful decision on his third series, launching the ball into space while being tugged to the turf at the Jacksonville 11. Winston's duck of a pass looped into the end zone, where it was picked off by Barry Church. Officials nullified the turnover, ruling that Winston's progress was stopped, but it's just the type of decision Koetter will fry his quarterback for on next week's Hard Knocks. Winston nearly threw another pick on the following drive and fumbled a pass attempt before the half that was picked up by teammate Adam Humphries. The box score looks hot, but Thursday was a reminder that one of the league's most promising young quarterbacks still has work to do after generating 41 turnovers over his first two NFL seasons.

7. Is Blake Bortles running out of rope in Jacksonville? Another frustrating outing saw the devolving fourth-year quarterback utterly misfire on a deep ball to wideout Allen Robinson, who got open between a pair of cover men 30 yards downfield. It's worth noting that a steamed Doug Marrone forced his Jaguars starters to play into the second half with Chad Henne -- not Bortles -- at the helm. Henne doesn't exactly get the blood humming, but how long until management decides it's time for Bortles to be hidden away like the Ark of the Covenant?

8. The Bills don't have Sammy Watkins anymore, but they do have rookie Zay Jones, who piled up 42 yards off three catches led by this brilliant, high-concentration sideline grab from first-year passer Nathan Peterman:

9. In Philadelphia, Carson Wentz was sluggish out of the gate, sailing a pair of passes over the head of Alshon Jeffery, with the second of those coming in the end zone on third-and-goal. Wentz looked his best guiding the Eagles on a 65-yard, first-quarter march that went swimmingly until LeGarrette Blount fumbled the ball away at Buffalo's 27. For the second straight week, Philly's overmatched line struggled to open holes on the ground.

10. On the opposite side of the ball, Eagles lineman Brandon Graham flashed moments of dominance, surging into Buffalo's backfield to bury LeSean McCoy for a 3-yard loss. Piling up six sacks, 13 hits on the quarterback and eight tackles for negative yardage, Jim Schwartz's front seven caused issues all night for the work-in-progress Bills.

Handicapper
Tokens
Doug Marrone: Jaguars' quarterback job up for grabs.

DHfNyVWUQAUa03Z.jpg

Are Blake Bortles' days as the Jacksonville Jaguars' starting quarterback numbered?
After a second consecutive mediocre preseason outing from his franchise signal-caller on Thursday night, Jags coach Doug Marrone told reporters that Jacksonville has a quarterback competition on its hands.
"It's this simple: I'm looking for the best person to lead this offense," Marrone told reporters, per John Oehser of the team's website. "[The QB position] is right up there for grabs, and either person can take it."
Marrone added, on Bortles: "It's not like he's not the quarterback. He's got to go earn it."
The coach's comments come on a night when the Jaguars, playing on national television, were shut out in the first half in a home loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, during which Bortles appeared out of his element once again. The fourth-year quarterback's severe underthrow of a wide-open Allen Robinson in the second quarter earned him a chorus of boos from the Duval faithful.
Bortles' outing with the first-team offense was so underwhelming that Marrone sent backup quarterback Chad Henne out at the end of the first half and start of the second half with the starters. Henne's entry on Thursday appears now like a prelude of what is to come at Jags camp.
Through two preseason games, Bortles is 11/18 for 81 yards with no touchdowns and no picks, while Henne is 11/16 for 183 yards with one TD. Third-stringer Brandon Allen was the most impressive signal-caller, and Jacksonville's leading rusher, on Thursday night; he is 15/22 for 229 yards with two TDs through two exhibitions.
As has become obvious this offseason, the Jaguars have stockpiled too much talent on both sides of the ball -- young (Leonard Fournette, Jalen Ramsey) and old (Calais Campbell) -- to throw away yet another season due to subpar quarterback play. Marrone, general manager Dave Caldwell and new football czar Tom Coughlin know this and have now taken the first step toward remedying a problem position that has ailed the organization for nearly a decade.
Jacksonville's third preseason game isn't for another week, so the Jaguars have six days to reevaluate the position. It's anyone's guess who will start that test against the Carolina Panthers, or if that player is even on Jacksonville's roster right now.

Handicapper
Tokens
DHe3u3SUAAEAfdZ.jpg

Handicapper
Tokens
DHe8XXjXoAAgYNc.jpg

Handicapper
Tokens
[h=1]Fabiano's 2017 fantasy football projections: QBs.[/h]Fantasy football analysis continues to develop and evolve as we become more and more advanced. No longer is it limited to a simple look at the rank of defenses against the pass and the run to determine starts or sits, as it was back in the late 1990s. (Wow, that seems like so long ago!) Now in the Information Age, the level of statistical projections, algorithms, metrics and research used to project a player's points and fantasy value are almost on the level of an NFL scout. While some information can be paralysis by analysis, a lot of it is useful in our quest to become champions.
In an effort to be a one-stop shop for the most important information as it pertains to your fantasy draft preparation, here's a look at my quarterback projections for the 2017 season. I've also included a few of the more vital team stats from last season, including each team's pass percentage, the number of pass plays and actual quarterback pass attempts. In order to grade offensive line effectiveness as it pertains to quarterbacks, I've also included average pocket time and time allowed to throw (coming via the great team at Next Gen Stats). The difference between the two is that "time to throw" includes only plays that resulted in a pass attempt, whereas "average pocket time" measures the time between the actual snap and a pass attempt or quarterback pressure. And of course, fantasy points against (strength of schedule) information is also included at the end.
Also included are a few nuggets, tidbits and analysis (for those who might be sick of all the numbers) on the most important fantasy players, in addition to the tendencies and trends of their coaches and coordinators. In some cases, you'll even see a quick historical breakdown of how well players have done (based on points) under the coaches and coordinators who'll be calling their plays in 2017.

Handicapper
Tokens
Arizona Cardinals

0ap3000000821508.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>
Projections
Carson Palmer: 4,312 yards, 26 TDs, 15 INTs, 42 rush yards, 0 rush TDs, 242.7 fantasy points
The Cardinals ranked third in pass plays and pass attempts last season, but Carson Palmer still ranked just 19th in fantasy points among quarterbacks. His 4,150 passing yards were his lowest full-season total since 2012, which was his final season with the Oakland Raiders. The veteran, now 38, has finished outside of the top 15 in fantasy points at the position in all but one of his four seasons in Arizona. ... Bruce Arians was either a head coach or offensive coordinator in six consecutive seasons before taking over as the main man in Arizona. During that time, his system produced three top-eight fantasy quarterback finishes (Andrew Luck - 2012, Ben Roethlisberger - 2007, 2009).

Handicapper
Tokens
Atlanta Falcons

0ap3000000821507.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>
Projections
Matt Ryan: 4,396 yards, 32 TDs, 12 INTs, 115 rush yards, 0 rush TDs, 285.3 fantasy points
The Falcons ranked 27th in pass plays a season ago, but Matt Ryan still finished with career bests almost across the board. His 345.5 fantasy points were 40.6 more than his previous personal best of 304.9 in 2012. Ryan had averaged 254.1 points in his previous three seasons. ... The offense won't change much under new offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, who has never called a single play at the NFL level, so expect their up-tempo attack to continue. Regardless, it's still difficult to envision a scenario where Ryan doesn't see some level of regression compared to his "magical" 2016 campaign and the loss of former coordinator Kyle Shanahan. Don't reach for him in fantasy drafts.

Handicapper
Tokens
Baltimore Ravens

0ap3000000821506.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>
Projections
Joe Flacco: 4,277 yards, 22 TDs, 16 INTs, 53 rush yards, 1 rush TDs, 232.4 fantasy points
No team ran more pass plays or threw more passes last season than the Ravens. While Joe Flacco did finish with a career best 4,317 passing yards, he still ranked a mere 20th in fantasy points among quarterbacks. ... Marty Mornhinweg will continue in his role as the team's offensive coordinator, so Flacco will have no shortage of chances to score fantasy points in "Air Marty's" offense. The system will result in plenty of explosive plays down the field, but it doesn't breed consistent production. Under Mornhinweg's watch (he took over the offense in Week 6), Flacco recorded fewer than 16 fantasy points eight times and threw one interception during each of his final six starts of 2016.

Handicapper
Tokens
Buffalo Bills

0ap3000000821505.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>
Projections
Tyrod Taylor: 3,105 yards, 21 TDs, 8 INTs, 553 rush yards, 4 rush TDs, 267.5 fantasy points
The Bills ranked 30th in pass plays and dead last in pass attempts last season under former offensive coordinators Greg Roman and Anthony Lynn. New coordinator Rick Dennison's quarterbacks have finished in the top 10 based on fantasy points once (Matt Schaub, 2010), but he has a connection with Tyrod Taylor from their one season together in Baltimore (2014). His offenses have also finished in the top 10 in rushing five times during his nine seasons as an NFL coordinator, which is good news for Buffalo's run-based attack. ... Taylor will be under center more often in Dennison's offense, so don't be surprised to see him run more play action and bootlegs to keep defenses honest.

Handicapper
Tokens
Carolina Panthers

0ap3000000821513.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>
Projections
Cam Newton: 3,826 yards, 24 TDs, 13 INTs, 381 rush yards, 5 rush TDs, 285.1 fantasy points
The Panthers ranked 23rd in pass plays and pass attempts a season ago, but will that total increase after the offseason? Offensive coordinator Mike Shula now has a terrific pass catcher in Christian McCaffrey to go along with fellow rookie Curtis Samuel and incumbents Kelvin Benjamin and Greg Olsen, so Cam Newton seems destined to use more short and intermediate passes. That should improve what was a career-worst 52.9 completion percentage from a season ago. Of course, this also means that Newton could run the ball less ... he had a career-low 90 rushes a season ago. That sort of scenario isn't a positive one from a fantasy perspective, making him a mid-to-low No. 1 option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kynamvmex750
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com