The Cat's NFL Over/Under Bets, Plus More, & Detailed Writeups - Week 8 - YTD: 60-40-1 (60%)

Search
Tokens
And here it is...

Seattle Seahawks @ St. Louis Rams - $51 for $30
UNDER 47 (Bought 3 points)

Fully worth it to buy the points, since this is a small bet and involves such a little cost to protect myself in the event of a worst-case scenario, so why not? There are a lot of reasons to like this under, starting with the obvious, that Kellen Clemens, even though I think he’s underrated, making his first start since the end of the 2011 season, being matched up against the best defense in football. While I was praising Clemens earlier in my thread, a poster helped me realize to look deeper into that last stint of his, which involved him facing two top-five defenses from that point in time (49ers and Steelers), and in those pair of outings, he was shut down rather noticeably. Thus, since Seattle’s defense is very comparable to those two defenses Clemens faced in 2011, it’s very reasonable to believe that he experiences similar struggles. Even if he holds his own, what are the odds a Clemens-led offense with virtually no real weapons (Until they properly use Tavon Austin correctly) puts up around 20 on the scoreboard against the No. 1 defense that gives up the fewest points in football? Don’t overthink it - it’s writing on the wall for a reason. This passage from the official Associated Press preview also caught my eye:

"Somebody's got to play," said Clemens, who has a 62.2 career passer rating in 31 games. "So I'll go out there and do the best job I can and try to help this team win some games."

Human Psychology is my No. 1 factor in handicapping, and when I find it potentially playing a role in the outcome of a ballgame, that is when I am most effective (See: My 500-word article on Josh Freeman’s predictable mindset entering last Monday Night; factually the longest write-up about his mentality in the country last week) because as I said then, and I’ll repeat it now, you can’t escape human nature. No one can. Thus, if you really examine those things Clemens said, how can you possibly anticipate him putting together any type of special outing? “Somebody’s got to play” is one of the worst lines someone can say when they’re taking over a crucial position like quarterback for the next several weeks, if not the rest of the season! Shouldn’t you be amped about such an opportunity? Especially for a relatively high draft pick like Clemens, who has not even come close to living up to expectations when he was a second-rounder a few years back. “Somebody’s got to play” is a line a loser would say, someone with little confidence and no assurance that they can take this job and run with it. And this is the guy Rams backers are leaning on to take on the stingiest defense the NFL has seen over the past couple of years? That’s laughable. In no way am I calling Clemens a loser, because I actually think he’s one of the better backups in the league (Although he still trails far behind whom I do think is the best back-up in all of pro football, Shaun Hill), but you can’t have that mindset and expect to be successful. Not at all.

Of course, there’s the possibility Clemens turns the ball over a bunch, thus giving Seattle’s rugged offense constant good field-position, which would not bode well for our under, but this is someone who at least has experience being a game manager, which is all we want him to be. In that aforementioned stint starting at the end of 2011, against those really good defenses, Clemens only had one pick, which is commendable. This could indicate he’s a smarter humble quarterback, which is a characteristic I’ll take for this under.

But what about the Seahawks offense and their tendency to put up boatloads of points in some games? Well, I’ll counter with these facts: A)The Seahawks collectively already admitted, including from head coach Pete Carrol, that they’re not that same team from the end of last year when they were seemingly routinely winning games 45-10. B)Tonight, they’re facing a defense that shut them down anyway last year in their peak, and Russell Wilson had his worst game as a pro against this same Rams defensive unit. C)While Rams defensive players might be losing hope on the season, it’s still at a point where there’s still that glimmer of hope, so we shouldn’t have to worry about them becoming relaxed or anything like that, also due to this being a nationally-televised Monday Night Football game. As a result, they’ll put their full effort in, and if that’s the case from stellar defensive players like Janoris Jenkins and Chris Long, that’s what we want. They’ll play hard and keep the Seahawks at a reasonable score.

*Remember, as I advise every week, you do NOT have to buy the half-point or point(s) that I buy for certain games. You’d have the same record as me ANYWAY, except for only a couple of games, but you can certainly still win this Under with the line at 44 or 45 (I would definitely recommend at least buying a point, so you’re protected if it’s 31-14/34-10/28-17).

GL to those who tail, and with whatever additional action you may have on the game tonight.

Tokens
If you just posted a copy of your plays I bet he would leave you alone and feel retarded for trying to call you out

Exactly, but he wont because he definitely didnt get den o/u at 57 and ill go even further and bet he probably doesnt even bet all the games he posts. Cat you need to sharpen up your tout writing skills, you sound too corny and fake. You need to make it sound legit to advance in your field.

Tokens
And on a more serious note, can't believe tonight marks the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Sandy. I remember that night, including just about every night in the immediate weeks following, like it was yesterday. It's scary how fast time goes because that does NOT seem like a year ago.

Ironically, on this very Monday Night a year ago when Sandy happened... it was 49ers vs Cardinals in Arizona on Monday Night Football in an eerily similar matchup to tonight, with the other NFC West residents involved. That same game produced an under, so hopefully the same game plays out here, with the Seahawks playing the role of their rival 49ers, while the Rams match that of the Cardinals, who, if memory serves me correct, were also depending on a back-up quarterback in this same scenario. Funny how that works out, right?

That being said, any fellow Long Islanders on here? Still in shock it's been a year.

Tokens
And from looking at the props, I highly recommend Chris Givens OVER 2.5 Receptions. Still debating whether or not take it. You have to believe they're trailing for most of this game, perhaps decisively, which means they have to pass constantly from behind. The problem is: Who does Kellen Clemens develop chemistry with? Who does he start to look for? Maybe someone like a Jared Cook re-emerges and becomes his favorite target. Same can be said for Tavon Austin, who can still be their next Danny Amendola in terms of hauling in a bunch of passes from anywhere. Austin Pettis also has filled that role various times over the past few years.

But since I recommended it, and I win 70% of the bets I recommend and don't bet on myself, it'll probably win. But if he's the starting No. 1 receiver, in a game that will probably be decisive, how does he not record three catches? Hmmmm

Tokens
And on cue, Givens already has two catches. Unbelievable how this always happens with bets I recommend and don't take. Typical.

Tokens
Always nice to win an Under by halftime. Mr. Monday Night/Mr. Over/Under does it again. Thinking about the halftime spread, hmm

Tokens
Mr. Joke. I like you but fucking stop with the self-blowing narcissistic homo-erotic self love

Tokens
Mr. Joke. I like you but fucking stop with the self-blowing narcissistic homo-erotic self love

Lol I like you, too. But you're misinterpreting my post. I wrote a 800 or 900-word article that I'm proud of, most of which being correct analysis about Kellen Clemens' human psychology, which is even longer than my usual extensive articles of analysis... I'm just happy it didn't go to waste. That's it :)

Tokens
And here it is...

Seattle Seahawks @ St. Louis Rams - $51 for $30
UNDER 47 (Bought 3 points)

Fully worth it to buy the points, since this is a small bet and involves such a little cost to protect myself in the event of a worst-case scenario, so why not?.

-170 is a little cost? You admitted earlier that you wouldn't buy points if you were betting > $100-$200 which makes me think you understand buying points like this is ridiculously -ev. Wheather you're avg bet is $50 or $500, you should treat them the same. The record is irrelevant if you aren't winning money (in relation to bet size) at a high clip. What's your real goal in this? Money or a fancy record to show off?

The goal is to make as much money on each bet as possible. I understand that buying points wouldn't effect your record or whatever but its the fact that you lose so much more when you lost the bet that is killing your profit. You should be up a lot more, you are picking good sides.

Hope this is seen as constructive and not as a giant attack.

Tokens
-170 is a little cost? You admitted earlier that you wouldn't buy points if you were betting > $100-$200 which makes me think you understand buying points like this is ridiculously -ev. Wheather you're avg bet is $50 or $500, you should treat them the same. The record is irrelevant if you aren't winning money (in relation to bet size) at a high clip. What's your real goal in this? Money or a fancy record to show off?

The goal is to make as much money on each bet as possible. I understand that buying points wouldn't effect your record or whatever but its the fact that you lose so much more when you lost the bet that is killing your profit. You should be up a lot more, you are picking good sides.

Hope this is seen as constructive and not as a giant attack.

Oh no, not at all. This, my friend, is a very constructive post that I appreciate. Thank you for bringing this up.

That's exactly why I buy points as much as I do - my bets aren't in the hundreds range, so if it only costs a little (As in a few extra dollars) to protect myself in the event of a worst-case scenario, I'll take it. Why? Because my predicted scores are always spot-on when it comes to over/unders, so I take advantage of the ability of being able to tack on an extra half-point or point(s), if I believe it's necessary.

Yes, at the same time, I also minimize what I should be winning, and am certainly not up as much as I should be (Based on my Win Total bets, though, I'll be making about another $500 at the end of the year, it looks like, at least), but this isn't a living to me. I see people throw around hundreds or thousands of dollars, and at this point in my life, being 27-years old and not that far much out of college (Graduated with my Journalism degree two years ago), I don't have the bankroll to risk hundreds or thousands. Occasionally, I'll risk like $150 on a bet, and I'll risk $100+ on my season-long futures bets since those are much easier, but right now, while my bets are relatively low and I'm able to enjoy it, I'll use the buying pts strategy to my advantage while it is affordable.

Thus, I take joy in winning as many thousands of people here that I can money. To me, while my bets are as low as they are, this is about pride to me as much as anything else. I know that I have as much knowledge as anyone out there, including various real bold predictions that come to fruition (Ex. Rams breaking out last year, Chiefs breaking out this year, Cecil Shorts being one of my break-out players from last year, etc.), and combined with my own unorthodox human psychology style of handicapping, I enjoy continuing to prove that. Unlike most people here, this isn't all money to me. I'm sure when I have the money to make significantly larger bets, that philosophy will certainly change, but in the meantime, I can at least take solace in the fact that many people here are able to make a lot more money from my own knowledge, since I'm unable to because of my low bankroll.

That's why I like to remind everyone: just cherish my special winning percentage and keep profiting. On the verge of seven winning weeks in eight tries to begin this 2013 campaign.

And thank you again for writing. That's what I call a quality post.

Blind Supporter of the Mariners
Tokens
So, are you going to answer Sharkzilla's question? What's your real goal, money won or record?

Tokens
So, are you going to answer Sharkzilla's question? What's your real goal, money won or record?

Lol I enjoy both. Not going to lie. Money's money but winning percentage, with actual individual games (Such as being 20-11-1, 64,5%, with NFL over/unders this year; and now 26-14-2, 65%, with NFL sides over the past two years) proves where you lie amongst everyone in terms of how much football knowledge you have. There's a reason I'm always around these percentages, whereas 95% of people who attempt this, are far from it.

And clearly, I continue to prove that I possess as much sports knowledge as anyone out there, whether you're on the field, in the organization, on TV, or just a fan. I'm obviously far from the best when it comes to money management, but in terms of predictions, whether they be bold season ones (Who else in the country picked BOTH the Pirates and Indians as their break-out teams in baseball? Not sure anyone had that in terms of published writing like I did) or individual game calls, I know I'm as good as anyone out there. Simple as that. That's not meant to be interpreted as anything wrong on my part - it's just extreme confidence. I work hard at what I do, and I can only hope the thousands that read me every week are tailing me for significantly bigger amounts than what I put on my own games. Simple.

Tokens
Lol I enjoy both. Not going to lie. Money's money but winning percentage, with actual individual games (Such as being 20-11-1, 64,5%, with NFL over/unders this year; and now 26-14-2, 65%, with NFL sides over the past two years) proves where you lie amongst everyone in terms of how much football knowledge you have. There's a reason I'm always around these percentages, whereas 95% of people who attempt this, are far from it.

And clearly, I continue to prove that I possess as much sports knowledge as anyone out there, whether you're on the field, in the organization, on TV, or just a fan. I'm obviously far from the best when it comes to money management, but in terms of predictions, whether they be bold season ones (Who else in the country picked BOTH the Pirates and Indians as their break-out teams in baseball? Not sure anyone had that in terms of published writing like I did) or individual game calls, I know I'm as good as anyone out there. Simple as that. That's not meant to be interpreted as anything wrong on my part - it's just extreme confidence. I work hard at what I do, and I can only hope the thousands that read me every week are tailing me for significantly bigger amounts than what I put on my own games. Simple.

#%()

Tokens

Lol maybe that sounded a little extreme, but I'm just very confident with my own knowledge. I study this stuff inside and out, and have been doing so on a daily basis seemingly ever since I was a little kid, so there's just a certain "feel" you acquire for games from such an intense routine.

I don't want people to take that the wrong way. I know some people are annoyed by my cockiness, but like in the case of Dez Bryant, it's a "positive" because it exhibits great passion, which is something you just can't teach. And just like he emphasized - as I even emphasized WELL BEFORE he did in his postgame interview - you can't be as successful, or maximize your talents, if you don't have that intense passion or dedication. That's what I'm all about.

By the way Betall, can't believe it's been exactly one year now since Sandy. Most don't understand what us Long Islanders went through, but it's just surreal to look back on. One year already? Really? Where does the time go? I'll never forget. Honestly still feels like yesterday

Biz

Handicapper
Tokens
Cat,
First of all, you need to stop with the verbal masturbation every time you hit a game. It's nauseating. Act like Barry Sanders after he scored a TD, and a little less like half the clowns in the NFL act after making a tackle 7 yards downfield.

Now, lets get to something that matters. No, not your winning percentage or anyone else's winning percentage. Let's talk about the massive amounts of money you are losing by buying points.

Every time you buy points, you cost yourself money. $60 for $35 on the Saints OVER, $42 for $25 on the Denver Over, $51 for $30 on the Seattle Under. What if you spent the same amount of money - $60 on NO Over, $42 on Denver Over, $51 for Seattle Under - and got -110 (or less like most of us do) instead??

$60 gets you back $54, not $35.
$42 gets you back $38, not $25.
$51 gets you back $46, not $30.

What about the money lost when you lose a bet, spending more for extra juice? It cuts into your profits, just like failing to maximize profits spending money on juice cuts into your growth.

Buying points cost you $48 in profits if you spent the same amount of money and didn't buy points. Don't tell me you wouldn't spend the same amounts if you didn't buy. You have stated time and time again, the points almost never matter. So, if you're willing to spend $60 laying ridiculous juice, you should be willing to spend the same amount at -110 or lower. I don't want to hear about your mental stability being the reason for the points purchase either.

See, this is the point you fail to understand. You flat out cost yourself money even when you win a bet. You should be winning MORE, not paying that money on "insurance".

Unfortunately, your only worry is your win percentage. Buying points, while negatively impacting your bottom line, helps your win percentage. Any serious handicapper knows that there is only ONE way to measure success. No, sorry to say it isn't win percentage. Its UNITS WON. Period.

Bottom line, buying points is costing you money on winning AND losing bets. Its a terrible practice, one you should just stop doing.

Blind Supporter of the Mariners
Tokens

I'll give you props on the Indians call, but the Pirates, I'm not sure on that one. They've been amassing some sick talent via the draft the last couple years coupled with picking up Martin and Liriano off of FA. They've underperformed like crazy the past couple years, it was just a matter of time until they got some variance to swing their way. They're just too well run to continually scuffle. Liriano's breakout year was well, I'm not going to say 'easy' to see coming simply b/c pitchers are so unpredictable but shoot, they've got AJ Burnett on their roster! We've already seen the story once lol!! He went from being a dumpster fire to a borderline ace and you couple that spacious ballpark w/ Pittsburgh's sick, sickkkkk OF (might be the best defensive OF in baseball) and you could see Liriano being a viable comeback story.

As for the bolded statement above. Man, I just don't know. If I read your picks, it would be really difficult to tail you. It's almost ironic what my reasoning would be, it's because you buy so many points. Let me explain, I see a guy buying points and I think to myself, 'Why is he buying so many points, is he lacking confidence in his picks'? If you're going to tail someone you want them oozing with confidence (something I know you're not short of lol) but you send the absolute opposite message with your 'play it safe approach'. Plus, if I were betting bigger amounts, boy, I'm not sure if I would even be up money this year tailing you. The reason simply being the huge chunks my bankroll would take when some of your -150+ wagers lose (hey, it happens lol).

I was wondering if you could do me a favor and it's going to be a slight pain in the ass for you. But, it's a Tuesday and a slow sports day (I don't think you dabble in the NBA at all, if you do, well...kickoff isn't until tomorrow lol only 3 games tonight). Could you go through your NFL wagers this season to date and adjust them for what a person who bets $100 and $200 would be up this season if they followed you on every single pick? I'll leave props out of this because you bet a pretty wide spread on them and it would be difficult to find a common unit. I believe you've mentioned your base unit as $20 (please correct me if I'm wrong). So, for example if you were betting say $30 to win $20 (-150), you would adjust my wager to $150 to win $100 or $300 to win $200 and so on? I'm asking you to do this for two reasons. One, to show you what would happen if/when you get a bigger bankroll and the swings that will result. Two, to show you that why simply betting more is a really tough sell as your justification for your heavy juice approach. I will say, it was nice to see you dabble in a ML underdog last week as that is where the real money lies (for someone who bets as much baseball as you, you should already know that). Normally, I would do this myself but frankly, I'm too goddamn busy @ work and my new company has blocked therx.

Stay golden Ponyboy :103631605

Tokens
I could write a Cats novel in response but I will try to be brief. Again, almost NO ONE is following your picks. If they were and your picks weren't even posted until game time (a large % of them didn't even get allowed until noon due to you being on post review) wouldn't at least ONE PERSON have said something in your post? Or told a mod "hey this guy is a wealth of knowledge so can he be off post review please" or "hey Cats can you make sure you get your plays in earlier?" Not one person said that out of your legion of believers.

99% of the people that view this thread are here for one thing, to hope and see you fail. Not because they hate to see anyone win, but they hate to see a pompus ass succeed. There are plenty of guys on here that win and they go about their business. They don't post how many page views they have or bet rolls of pennies on games they win, cash and share knowledge just because they are nice guys. You even said you don't really care about winning money, only that you have a high %. What kind of moron says that? You would rather be at 60% and losing money? Because that's possible with the way you wager.

You keep saying you know more about sports than anyone yet you bet $30 to win $20. In my profession I know what I'm doing and I get paid well to do it. If my boss came to me and said I was the best but I'm only going to pay you $.50 an hour (that is probably what you make when you add up all the hours you waste here and with your wager amount) I would go tell him to fuck himself and find a real career or find a new job that pays better. The best in the world as you say it then why not go get a loan, get a real bankroll and actually make some real money? Or is there at $50 limit at your site?

You may think you know more about sports than anyone but one thing you don't know how to do is be humble and know when people say you are buying points and it's costing you money and you say it's not. Everyone on this board is wrong and you are right. Go take a stats class or hell go sit in a 3rd grade math class and learn subtraction and addition. Or invest your winnings in a calculator.

That all said, congrats on another winning week. Will add them up later today "for you."

Tokens
I hope that anyone reading who is interested in actually winning over the long term reads Biz in post #55 and what GoBlue has to say about these wagers every week.

If the cats character actually believed what he was saying regarding his own picking prowess two things would be happening:
1. The wagers would be larger
2. Instead of buying points, he'd be selling them (Rams +12 was +105 last night for example and so was under 43)

Draw your own conclusions.

Tokens
Cat,
First of all, you need to stop with the verbal masturbation every time you hit a game. It's nauseating. Act like Barry Sanders after he scored a TD, and a little less like half the clowns in the NFL act after making a tackle 7 yards downfield.

Now, lets get to something that matters. No, not your winning percentage or anyone else's winning percentage. Let's talk about the massive amounts of money you are losing by buying points.

Every time you buy points, you cost yourself money. $60 for $35 on the Saints OVER, $42 for $25 on the Denver Over, $51 for $30 on the Seattle Under. What if you spent the same amount of money - $60 on NO Over, $42 on Denver Over, $51 for Seattle Under - and got -110 (or less like most of us do) instead??

What about the money lost when you lose a bet, spending more for extra juice? It cuts into your profits, just like failing to maximize profits spending money on juice cuts into your growth.

Buying points cost you $48 in profits if you spent the same amount of money and didn't buy points. Don't tell me you wouldn't spend the same amounts if you didn't buy. You have stated time and time again, the points almost never matter. So, if you're willing to spend $60 laying ridiculous juice, you should be willing to spend the same amount at -110 or lower. I don't want to hear about your mental stability being the reason for the points purchase either.

See, this is the point you fail to understand. You flat out cost yourself money even when you win a bet. You should be winning MORE, not paying that money on "insurance".

Unfortunately, your only worry is your win percentage. Buying points, while negatively impacting your bottom line, helps your win percentage. Any serious handicapper knows that there is only ONE way to measure success. No, sorry to say it isn't win percentage. Its UNITS WON. Period.

Bottom line, buying points is costing you money on winning AND losing bets. Its a terrible practice, one you should just stop doing.

+1000 Very well said.....

Tokens
Cat,

Biz, I always appreciate your insight and I thank you for writing all of that. All I can say is I need to listen to this piece of advice better because looking through my work this week, this was actually my worst instance of buying points (I bought points for all my over/unders, and all were multiple pts. Yuck). You're absolutely right that I cut considerably into my profits, but the one point I can make is this:

I understand what you and some others are trying to say when I "lose" money on victories. But I see it completely differently, and with that philosophy, you just can't say that because I'd be betting to win the same amount anyway. For example, in last night's Under victory, my final bet was $51 for $30 after buying the maximum three points. Your argument states that I cost myself $16 in that specific bet because it would've been $51 for $46, rather than $51 for $30. I counter with this: If I DID NOT buy any pts and left the Under alone at 44, I would have done the bet to win $30 anyway! So if I left it as is, the bet simply would have been $33 for $30, and I would have won $30 regardless, meaning I cost myself zero dollars. IF I LOST, THEN I would 100-percent agree with you that I cost myself money because instead of losing the generic $33, I would have lost $51, which means I would have cost myself an extra $18.

But since I won the bet, I just don't see it that way because I'm betting to win the same amount regardless if I buy pts or not. So while I 100-percnt agree with what you're saying about how losing a bet with extra vig costs money, I cannot agree with that in instances where I win because the amount I'm trying to win would be the same anyway. So it's not "money lost" when I win because if I left it alone, I'd be playing to win the same amount anyway.

Overall, however, I know what you're saying and I agree. I need better discipline because clearly, the pts rarely come into play. My o/u record would virtually be the same without it. I guess it's just a habit I have, since my bets are relatively small, and like I said, once I start betting into the $100's, that's when I'll barely be buying any pts. But I guess I need to get into the habit you described right away of not buying pts because it is a terrible practice to do every week. I definitely recommend it once in awhile if you feel you really have a beat on a game, but certainly, doing it for as many games as I do, it's asking for trouble in the long run. I agree.

Ironically, and I can't explain this, I very rarely buy points on sides. I don't know why, since, logically, it'd make more sense to buy a point or so on a side because there's less margin of defeat possibilities than there are over/under outcomes (Games usually adding up to 30-60 pts; Side deficits usually end by 3-17 pts). So at the very least, at least I'm mostly maximizing my profits on Sides. That 26-14-2 Sides record I have over the past two years is just about for the most part without buying any pts and is something I'm proud of. But I need to develop that discipline of buying less on o/u's. I agree, and hopefully I'm able to begin that practice next week. I appreciate the advice, as always, Biz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marablakus
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com