Movie Review Thread: It aint celebrity nudes, but

Search

Do you like my new avatar?
Tokens
Can we please get this thread back to what is what started for?

Here is great football gambling movie about a loser from Buffalo, Hmmmm, seems to fit? LOL.....

Buffalo '66
A Film Review by James Berardinelli

United States, 1998
U.S. Release Date: beginning 6/26/98 (limited)
Running Length: 1:50
MPAA Classification: R (Profanity, nudity, sexual situations, violence)
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Cast: Vincent Gallo, Christina Ricci, Anjelica Huston, Ben Gazzara, Mickey Roarke, Rosanna Arquette
Director: Vincent Gallo
Producer: Chris Hanley
Screenplay: Vincent Gallo and Alison Bagnall
Cinematography: Lance Acord
Music: Vincent Gallo
U.S. Distributor: Lions Gate Films

Weird and darkly comic, Buffalo '66 is the story of the redemption of one almost- unbearable character afflicted with a phobia about everything. Played by Vincent Gallo (Palookaville), who often essays lowlife individuals, Billy Brown is at the bottom of the human totem pole. He's violent, boorish, obsessive, angry, self- deluded, and unable to deal with intimacy. He has what are euphemistically called "issues," and, unlike many similar characters, he's not the least bit endearing. Gallo, who, in addition to starring in the movie, wrote it, directed it, and composed the music for it, has hinted that certain aspects of Buffalo '66 are autobiographical (particularly the dinner table interaction between Billy and his parents). If there's even a tenth of Billy in Gallo, "intense" would be an understatement in describing the man.

Following the film's premiere at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival, Gallo remarked that one of the primary reasons he made Buffalo '66 was to give himself the opportunity to star opposite Christina Ricci. In fact, her casting is easily Gallo's most brilliant move, because she walks away with this film, acting circles around everyone else, including Anjelica Huston (her former Addams Family co-star), Ben Gazzara, and Gallo himself. Ricci, who plays the winsome, deeply-troubled, and highly insecure Layla, uses everything at her disposal -- dialogue, facial expressions, and body language -- to create a three-dimensional character out of the underwritten shell that exists in Gallo's script. Anyone who still doubts the young actress' ability, even in the wake of The Ice Storm and The Opposite of Sex, will be convinced by what she accomplishes here.

The film opens with a disheveled Billy walking out the door of the prison where he has been incarcerated for the past five years. Back in 1991, when the Buffalo Bills lost a nailbiter Superbowl to the New York Giants, Billy made the tactical error of betting $10,000 he didn't have on the game. So, when the kicker missed a last-second field goal, Billy found himself in a serious hole. To pay off the bookie (Mickey Roarke), he agreed to confess to a crime he didn't commit to let one of the gangster's friends off the hook. Now, with his time served, Billy finds himself on the outside again, unsure of what to do with himself.

He eventually ends up in Buffalo, looking for somewhere to go to the bathroom. His quest for a toilet leads him into a dance studio, where, in a moment of blind irrationality, he kidnaps a young student named Layla, who doesn't put up that much of a struggle. It seems that Layla, while sullen about the experience, really doesn't mind being kidnapped. Her level of self-esteem is so low that, on a certain level, she actually relishes the experience. Billy has grabbed her because he needs someone to play the role of his "wife" when he visits his parents. They think he's a secret agent with an adoring spouse, and he wants to look good in front of them. It doesn't matter to him that they're both weird -- Dad (Gazzara) always wants to eat and Mom (Huston), an obsessive Bills fan, never stops watching videotaped games on TV -- and that he doesn't like them. Layla agrees to play the part, and succeeds in the seemingly-impossible task of charming both parents. The rest of the film is about the two bonding as Billy contemplates whether or not he's going to put a bullet into the head of the former Bills' field goal kicker who lost the Superbowl.

There's no doubt that Gallo's approach is uneven. The film's high level of energy is undeniable, but several of the director's flourishes (flashbacks superimposed on the "current" image, lengthy blackouts during transitions, and surreal three-dimensional freeze-framing during a key sequence) seem gratuitous and unnecessarily flamboyant. The movie has a grungy look that suits the characters; however, this is not the kind of film that does much for promoting tourism in Buffalo. The city comes across as gray, cold, and unpleasant.

Gallo's script is quirky and filled with a number of hilariously strange comic moments. The highlights include a monologue where Billy ineptly explains why Layla should agree to play his wife, a bowling alley sequence where Layla, still in her dance costume, throws a strike, and an exchange in a $2 automated photo booth, where Billy explains that, although they're playing a couple whose affection "spans time," she's not to touch him. My only real complaint about the screenplay is that I would have like to have learned a little more about Layla. Her role in the film is to react to Billy, and, as a result, she remains underdeveloped. She's at least as interesting as he is, but, by the time the end credits roll, we know much more about him than about her.

Despite the occasional hiccups and drawbacks, Buffalo '66 proves to be a successful debut outing behind the camera for Gallo. It remains to be seen whether he'll direct any more films, but, if he does, hopefully he won't lose the edginess and sense of urgency that fashion a wide berth between this movie and the other entries in the small-but-growing subgenre devoted to victims who fall for their kidnappers (a couple of recent examples: Excess Baggage, A Life Less Ordinary). It's Buffalo '66's tone, not the reprehensible main character, that makes this an engaging motion picture.

© 1998 James Berardinelli

PS, After you rent this movie, tell me it's not a movie that belongs in the Rubber Room hall of fame! Also, who would you have from the Rubberroom play the part of Billy Brown(Vincent Gallo)?

YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE!

By the way, I'm the orange cat

Tokens
suit yourself dog...back to the movies is a good idea # 1 cheater.

slugster

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dogball:
Patrick-
I have never posted a play here or anywhere under any other name.
I have never had a separate ID to post to any of my threads.
I had no intentions of ever making a side business out of selling my picks. It was my decision alone to make the transition though.
So tough for you to believe all this? Usually cynics like that are the biggest liars themselves. Why else would they have such a mistrust of everyone else.
Pat- I am not going to get into a war of words with you, you have taken 2- 3 shots at me in the last several days alone that I have ignored. I dont have the time or inclination to get into the labarious chore of responding to your long and often valuable threads. I am just setting the record straight as it pertains to your comments indirectly aimed at me above.
No movies to recommend?

The RX Rules<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dog - what are you talking about? I never mentioned you in this thread. If you have a guilty conscience that would be your problem.

I wasn't referring to you specifically but since you bring it up I do not believe you didn't have the idea of selling your plays when you got here. You just happen to come along to this site right? Once here you just happen to play big unit plays to impress the squares? Most guys who come looking to help others don't even mention how many units they are betting. Only touts for the most part brag of how many hundreds of thousands units they are up. LOL. Also you were VERY sensitive about your record. You even busted on me one day for not saying you were the best capper on the forum in a thread. Told me I was wrong real fast like. Ironically the thread was about cappers that TRK monitored, not you. You weren't even eligible to be mentioned as the best. When I said I had to give Jake credit you came in to correct me that you were having the best year, not Jake or anyone else, YOU. Remember that? Again that is awful weird behavior for a guy that was just here to help people win but had no intention of going tout.

Lastly, if you came here to help others why start selling them now? What changed? After you got here according to your record keeping you are up tens of thousands of dollars? Why suddenly start selling plays if you are winning so much? Doesn't make sense to me but I'm sure you have an answer..........

I know you have some suck ups here that are big Dog fans that will come along and rescue you but don't call me out like this and look for me to shrivel up and run away. You are a tout looking to hustle people, you were one when you got here. You have sold yourself well to some here and are popular but you have now called me out several times. Though you bore me and I prefer to stay above this kind of crap I will always make time to respond if you want to continue to call me out....

icon_rolleyes.gif

Pat-
I dont need anyone to answer for me, especially as it pertains to you. The reason is simple-
Pat I have seen you do this same thing to many people. YOu are irrational and overreact constantly. You make statements which are unsupported by fact, you draw assumptions from comments people never make, they are your fantasy exclusively. I did not call you out in any way. People even responded in other threads where you took shots at me for no reason what so ever asking why.

Think or say whatever you want about me, I dont need slander like you to defend myself against your ridiciolus accusations. How I came here you ask? Ken can confirm that it was by chance I stumbled here, and I am damn happy I did. I know you dont like touts and respect that. Matter of fact I respect a lot of the work you do, but you would be best served by being less of a cynic and more of a realist.

"know you have some suck ups here that are big Dog fans that will come along and rescue you but don't call me out like this and look for me to shrivel up and run away. "

Its always about a challenge for you Pat, even If I misunderstood your comments, we had a relationship where we could have talked about it.
Since we are equally bored-

Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I say bye till it be morrow
Shakespeare
I could go on responding to all of your comments, but I know it would be futile as MCirish is always right in his own mind. A bit of humility would serve you well Pat.

The RX Rules

Oh brother? A bit of humility? Like you show when you get OUTRAGED if not being named the best baseball capper?
icon_rolleyes.gif
If people don't worship you and the ground you walk on than they aren't your buddy long.

You have started threads addressed to me Dog calling me out. When I answered back as tactfully as I could you come back with a "I took exception to what you said" reply. Huh? Here's a newsflash. Just because the great Dogball is a tout doesn't mean we all are going to roll over and scream to the heavens how great the tout business is now. You are VERY VERY sensitive, why you chose to be a tout is beyond me. Other than the $$$ you hope to fleece out of the squares I have no clue why you chose this career. Sure some will be intimidated by you and only post to tell you how great you are, but some don't give a shit who you are. To me you are just another tout trying to hustle people out of their money here while the rest of us try and help each other for free. The only thing that insults me is the way you have misled people along the way about why you are a tout now.....

Give me the why you are selling your plays again story, we all got a laugh on this the first time. You were giving them away for free but the posters here started e-mailing you and begging you to sell them, right? LOL. Isn't that what you said? If not please correct me. LOL. You are in the right business sir. Maybe when the site goes in cahoots with touts you can reenergize your business.......

Good luck.

1. I dont need to reenergize my business as winning takes care of that. Although tonight sucked and I shit the bed, I have been successful. That is all I need to build and maintain clients.
2. I no more owe you an explanatin for my business decision then you owe me one for being a former bookmaker. You clearly had no consicence or problem taking money from players then.
YOu are a moral hypocrite

The RX Rules

Tokens
I came here for movies reviews, who knew what I would stumble into. On to movies . . .

I highly recommend 24 Hour Party People. I am currently thinking it was the best movie I saw last year. Follows the progression of the Manchester music scene from punk to new wave and to club music but from the view point of the founder of Factory records. I am huge music fan, but I wouldn't say that punk and new age are my favorites, but I still loved this movie. One hell of a movie. Fans of indie and limit release film will enjoy.

Dogball - Saw Igby Goes Down last week. Not bad, one of my favorite life of privilage youth focused films is Ice Storm(directed by Ang Lee). If you haven't seen it, consider it.

Uncle B - For the past serveral years I really can't sit through most action movies as action scenes are almost painful for me to watch as they are so boring. But I really like Borne. Very character and story driven. I even liked the car chase. One of the few movies that I thought was better than the book.

Donnie Darko is some crazy shit. Liked it quite a bit.

Finally, while I enjoyed Royal Tennenbaums, Wes Anderson's previous film Rushmore is likely one of my top ten films of all time.

We really ought to have a forum for off topic things to discuss shit like this. I guess the rubber room is that, but I never stop in do to all the other shit. I just caught the movie topic on the main page.

Lakerfan-
Liked Ice Storm plenty, Loved Rushmore
Am going to see 24 Hour as I saw a preview which looked intersting and now your recommendation.
Watched Pulp Fiction for the 50th time last night when I could not fall asleep forgot what a good piece of movie making that was and Absoloutley love Natural Born Killers.

The RX Rules

Rushmore , incredible flick!!
Also, i am not much for 'action' movies either, not anymore at least.
The computer generated stunts bore the living shit out of me.

Dog, just sitting down to watch Igby right now, will let you know what i think of it.

Missed you in POD today, pretty good night once again. I swear that thread is good luck for me.
icon_biggrin.gif

On a side note:

Not going to get involved in Patrick and Dogs dispute, as much as i might want to.
Sucks when 2 of your favorite posters are so up in arms.
Hope the two of you can at least learn to respect eachother simply as posters eventually, and respond to eachothers posts, and not the poster himself. You are both, imo, invaluable to The RX.

Now off to the couch and the bottle, BBL guys.
icon_wink.gif

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

Uncle-
Quite a fortunate absence for anyone who would have read my post. LOl. Shit the bed today but kicked ass last few. Glad you prospered, good news

Enjoy the movie and keep me posted

The RX Rules

Tokens
Time for me to hit the hay but I will post some of the more interesting films I have seen lately (or ever
icon_wink.gif
) tomorrow. Enjoy reading everyone elses favoriets.

Dogball - Tarantino I like. Oliver Stone I hate. But we can't agree on everything
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dogball:
1. I dont need to reenergize my business as winning takes care of that. Although tonight sucked and I shit the bed, I have been successful. That is all I need to build and maintain clients.
2. I no more owe you an explanatin for my business decision then you owe me one for being a former bookmaker. You clearly had no consicence or problem taking money from players then.
YOu are a moral hypocrite

The RX Rules<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No explanation? I wonder why?
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hypocrite? Why aren't I surprised by that accussation. Very tout like move to go after me. First as far as you shitting the bed tonight, big deal, we all get hammered from time to time. I wouldn't ever call you out on losing. Happens to all of us and it isn't my style anyway. I will call you out on the rest though Dog. You are showing your real colors to me. Since I'm not a Dog fan you are intent on trying to discredit me now. Yeah I have a history of overreacting and being an idiot around here huh?
icon_rolleyes.gif

The fact is, you came here and built your business from this place. You know it, I know it an so does everyone else. Others like your friend Rodfather did it too so I don't know if the RX cares but quit trying to bullshit us. And PLEASE stop with the story of how the posters here talked you into being a tout. Pathetic. Even for a tout that is a weak story. So you came here to "help others" but after those 50 unit plays started hitting the posters here finally convinced you to start charging them for your picks? LOL. "No please guys I am only here to help...... oh okay I will open up and sell my plays since you all insisted!!!"
icon_rolleyes.gif
Actually I don't have time for this nonsense. Just want to be clear, that is the way you say it happened, correct?

Last thing is please tone down the sucking up now. Ever since the site has announced they may go in business with touts you have been the number one cheerleader around here. It's amazing how your tone has changed. Wasn't long ago when someone questioned you on that ridiculous "Byrd was pitching according to the New York Times" move to avoid a loss that you were ranting and raving about the site, About how poor the moderators were here!! You were OUTRAGED HOW BAD IT WAS AROUND HERE. Remember? Amazingly now since the site is looking for touts this place is fantastic now! You even start threads complimenting this place now. Hell even your sig line is about the RX. Why? Because like before when you built your business here this place is in a position to do you a favor. So now you are kissing ass to make sure you are one of the touts involved. I would pretty much assume you are gong to be one of them so relax on the ass kissing huh? Even the dumbest of square will catch on to what you are about if you keep it up for long. I know your business needs help but let them select you on your own merit, not how much butt you can kiss. There's a right and wrong way to do things and it's not too late for you to learn them. Tout or not.

Be true to thine own self. 'Nuff said.

BTW thanks Uncle. I appreciate you being fair as I know you are close to Dog. I will get others attack me and want to take sides because they used to send money to touts and they feel foolish about it. They get pissed at me for bringing up some of the deceptive practices these guys use. I don't care if anyone wants to send money to touts, it's their money. However I won't lay back and let a tout attack me just because I won't tell everyone how great he is and how everyone should send him their money. "Yeah they just begged me to open up so I did....." Really silly that anyone would believe that.

I knew the first post I ever saw from this guy he was trying to start a tout business. I didn't know him and he jumped me for propping Jake for having a good baseball year. Insisted his year was better and got pissed about it! I think to this day that's why he doesn't care for me. I have to be Dogball is #1 type of guy and that's not my way. Anyway when I first saw his posts with the *25 unit plays and I am up $45,234 in monopoly money I knew what was up from the go. Now he wants to tell me he never planned any of this? The posters begged him? LOL. If you came here to help and won all that thousands and thousands of dollars why start selling plays? I don't get it. I should just ignore it but hard when he starts threads with my name in it and then "takes exception" to my opinion.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway thanks Uncle, your word carries a lot of weight with me. Thanks for being fair, I will always return the favor to those who treat me that way.

[This message was edited by Patrick McIrish on 02-14-03 at 02:19 AM.]

I have to agree with Irish. There are times that Dog's lips are so close to Shrink's ass that I don't know where Shrink ends and Dog begins.

dogball

big game specialist
posted 02-13-03 10:46 AM
All class move from the elite shrink.

Good job

The RX Rules

It's everywhere Raiders. He started a new thread in off-shore last week that took the cake. I won't mention what's in the board room as that is not allowed. LOL. Again nothing wrong with that if it was always that way but he needs a favor now. That's how these touts work. You should have been here when someone questioned him during baseball season. He was FURIOUS and demanded explanations from this place. Wanted to know if I was a paid employee and how he wasn't going to post here EVER again if this was allowed. Pissed off about how terrible the moderators were and the job Peep was doing. Now this place is golden .....

icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

I think the RX is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

I'm not looking to get into a war with Dog but that note By Irish really hit home. In every post by Dog he is either sucking up to the Rx or doing a commercial for himself.

I think he feels the need to suck up because he stole the players from this site to start his tout business to begin with. Even admits that part, how can he deny it. Though he swears he was innocently posting here and got persuaded to sell his plays, fact is he cashed in on the players that were already here. Now he wants to again make money off this place. Though he is popular with some here he can't take any chance he might be left out. That is why all the sucking up is going on right now about how great this place is. Normal procedure for these type of people. If he goes around and sells the RX they will (hopefully) look to him when they hire touts.....
icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway you are right Raiders. Let's not get off the reason we are here, to BEAT THE BOOKS. Let's let the tout worry about how to take the squares money, we need to take the books money. I am moving on. I hate when I get good guys like Uncle to feel like they are in the middle. Sorry to shit in the Rubber Room but I do not like TOUTS!!!!! When they smart off to me it's hard to just walk away.....
icon_mad.gif

The funny thing is how the touts throw out a free pick now and then saying I'm doing it to help the guys out. I won't leave you guys. I'll give you a free pick now and then. They couldn't be doing this to promote business could they?
icon_eek.gif

Dogball, i think we might need to start a new "Movie Review" thread..lol

Anyhow, just finished Igby goes down, great damn movie!
Thanks for the heads-up.

What perfect casting, especially Jeff Goldblum.

Of course , a topless Amanda Peete was a nice bonus too..
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, great movie bud.

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ngocmai
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com