Connecting the dots on Hillary Clinton

Search

Tokens
[h=1]Hillary Clinton's White Male Voter Problem[/h][h=2]Democrats fear that their party's declining appeal with white voters, particularly white men, will bite them in 2016 despite strong performance with growing demographics.[/h]
BY S.V. DÁTE

July 12, 2015 MANCHESTER, New Hampshire—Karl Savage is the kind of guy that makes top Democrats nervous.He lives in a working-class neighborhood, with a cigar-store Indian perched on his front stoop and a carved Harley-Davidson sign on his garage. He's voted in Democratic primaries, he's older, he's white—and he does not care for Hillary Clinton. Not one little bit.He made this very clear, in fact, to a Clinton campaign volunteer who rang his doorbell recently only to watch the front door close on him just seconds into his pitch. A short while later, his wife, Pamela, offered this explanation before similarly shutting the door: "We're not interested. We don't like her."So while Republicans fret about their party's outreach to Latinos and other minorities, this one Saturday morning door-knock encapsulates the fear among leading Democrats: Their party no longer speaks to white people, particularly white men, and they could lose the White House because of it.(RELATED: Memo to Hillary: 'You're Still the Problem')
"Democrats are hemorrhaging those voters and need to figure out how to stop the bleeding," said Mo Elleithee, a former top Democratic National Committee official who now runs Georgetown University's Institute of Politics and Public Service. "There could come a point where Democrats cannot afford to lose any more white voters. It's in the interest of Democrats to be taking steps to reverse that now."Elleithee pointed to Florida, where President Obama's 2-and-a-half-point 2008 victory narrowed to a 1-point 2012 win, which then became a 1-point loss in Democrat Charlie Crist's run for governor in 2014—even though the Crist campaign hit its turnout targets for African-Americans and Latinos.Steve Schale worked on all three campaigns. He said it makes more sense to increase support from whites just a little bit than trying to boost support from minority groups a lot. "Take Hispanics alone: Every point of white share you lose, you have to win Hispanics by 4 to 5 points more" to make up for it, Schale said. "In '08, we knew if we really focused on keeping whites above 40 (percent), we couldn't lose. To me, that makes more sense than always trying to cobble out a tight win. And at some point we are going to max out (with) Hispanics."Meanwhile, Republican pollster Bill McInturff scratches his head while watching all this hand-wringing over a demographic group that will continue to decline in significance. For one thing, he said, the 27-percentage point advantage Republicans built among white men in 2012 is probably about as bad as it can get for Clinton, given that a sizeable percentage of white men are white-collar liberals.(RELATED: The Rise of Hillary Clinton)McInturff has prepared an analysis that even increases the Republican advantage with white men, to 31 percent, and decreases the GOP's disadvantage among black and Latino voters slightly. But it still shows Republicans losing the next election by 3 points.So to him, it's not even worth debating whether Clinton should work to appeal more to white men, which her husband Bill Clinton successfully did 23 years ago, rather than the "Obama coalition" of urban whites, young people, and minorities.​
DON'T MISS TODAY'S TOP STORIES
Excellent!"Rick, Executive Director for Policy

"The hell with it," he said. "For all the trees that have been killed by the press about which strategy she should pursue, her campaign is doing exactly the right thing. There's not a choice. She's pursuing the one strategy that will win the presidency."Whether Democrats need to worry about Clinton's support among white men or not, her weakness with them is already turning up in polls of early-voting Iowa and New Hampshire, both of which are overwhelmingly white.(RELATED: What Hill Democrats Want to Hear From Hillary Clinton)Prominent Iowa pollster Ann Selzer cites a May survey that showed Clinton leading Sen. Bernie Sanders by 40 points among women—but by less than 10 points among men—in the Democratic caucuses. In the New Hampshire primary, Sanders is actually running even with Clinton among men, said Suffolk University pollster David Paleologos.Why this is happening is less clear. Democratic pollster Peter Hart said that while Latino and black men tend to be firmly in the Democratic fold, white men are typically more conservative and Republican in ideology.Kathy Sullivan, a former chair of the New Hampshire Democratic Party, suggested it might be the topics Clinton talks about. "Perhaps men are not as interested in early-education issues, or women's-health issues," she said.Some New Hampshire voters had a much simpler explanation."I hate to say it, but I think it's because she's a woman," said Tim Molan, a neighbor of Savage. "I grew up in an age when women were supposed to be seen and not heard. It's a different world, and she helped forge it."(RELATED: Meet Hillary Clinton's Least-Likely Adviser)"I think men have a problem with strong women," agreed Paula Pierce, another neighbor.Her husband, Mark, said many of his male coworkers at United Parcel Service, particularly the ones who did not attend college, distrust her and fear Clinton will have little regard for people like them. "She's got so much money," he said.The irony for Clinton is that lesser-educated, working-class whites became her base of support in the spring of 2008, as she won primaries in states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia in her last battle for the Democratic nomination. In one infamous interview with USA Today, she focused specifically on white voters: "Obama's support among working, hardworking Americans, white Americans, is weakening."Paula Pierce said that history proves that male dislike for Clinton does not come from a good place. "So it was the lesser of two evils. A white woman over an African-American," she said of Clinton's 2008 late spring surge. "We need more women. We've got way too much testosterone flying around.​

Tokens
[h=1]FULL FISKING: HILLARY CLINTON’S ECONOMY SPEECH[/h]

Hillary-Weird-Jewel-Samad-Getty-640x481.jpg
Jewel Samad / Getty

by JOEL B. POLLAK13 Jul 201543

[h=2]Former Secretary of State and U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic Party nominee for president in 2016 laid out her proposed economic policy in an address to the left-leaning New School for Social Research in New York on Monday. Billed as a policy that aims to “boost the middle class,” Clinton offered a hodgepodge of policy platitudes that differed little from Obama administration policies that she admits are not working.[/h]What follows is a “fisking” of her address–a critique, but also an effort to extract meaning from the mess.
Thank you, thank you, thank you so much. Thank you very much President Van Zandt, and thanks to everyone at the New School for welcoming us today. I’m delighted to be back.
You know, over the past few months, I’ve had the opportunity to listen to Americans’ concerns about an economy that still isn’t delivering for them. It’s not delivering the way it should – it still seems to most Americans that I have spoken with that it is stacked for those at the top.
It is amazing that someone who served in the Obama administration would acknowledge that the economy “still isn’t delivering.” Clinton hints at the fact that inequality has in fact grown under Obama, despite all the policies he has enacted aimed at redistributing wealth.
But I’ve also heard their hopes for the future: going to college without drowning in debt… starting that small business they’ve always dreamed about… getting a job that pays well enough to support a family and provide for a secure retirement.
Previous generations of Americans built the greatest economy and strongest middle class the world has ever known on the promise of a basic bargain:
If you work hard and do your part, you should be able to get ahead. And when you get ahead, America gets ahead.
But over several decades, that bargain has eroded. Our job is to make it strong again.
We hear Democrats talk about this “bargain” all of the time. Note that what is missing from that bargain is any notion that it is guaranteed by the government. And note that it is aimed at those who “work hard”–yet government handouts destroy the incentive to work hard.
For 35 years, Republicans have argued that if we give more wealth to those at the top – by cutting their taxes and letting big corporations write their own rules – it will trickle down, it will trickle down to everyone else.
This is not something I have ever actually heard a Republican argue, because no Republican ever has done so. Note that Clinton thinks that government “gives wealth” to the rich. Perhaps that describes the way she and her husband became mega-rich. It applies to few other people.
Yet every time they have a chance to try that approach, it explodes the national debt, concentrates wealth even more, and does practically nothing to help hard-working Americans.
Twice now in the past 20 years, a Democratic president has had to come in and clean up the mess. I think the results speak for themselves.
It takes a special kind of chutzpah to ignore the fact that the Obama administration exploded the national debt and the deficit more than any previous president–more than almost all the presidents put together, in fact. She was in the administration during the worst of those years.
Under President Clinton – I like the sound of that – America saw the longest peacetime expansion in history … nearly 23 million jobs… a balanced budget and a surplus for the future. And most importantly, incomes rose across the board, not just for those already at the top.
Eight years later, President Obama and the American people’s hard work pulled us back from the brink of Depression. President Obama saved the auto industry, imposed new rules on Wall Street, and provided health care to 16 million Americans.
Obama did not “save” the auto industry. The bailout was a George W. Bush policy. Imposing new rules on Wall Street did little to help the economy, and Obamacare actually stunted growth and job creation. Note that Clinton omits any mention of Obama’s flagship economic policy, the so-called “stimulus.” She also omits that Bill Clinton’s balanced budgets came about due to pressure from a Republican Congress.
Now today, today as the shadow of crisis recedes and longer-term challenges come into focus, I believe we have to build a “growth and fairness” economy. You can’t have one without the other.
We can’t create enough jobs and new businesses without more growth, and we can’t build strong families and support our consumer economy without more fairness.
We need both, because while America is standing again, we’re not yet running the way we should.
That sounds nice, but is fundamentally mistaken. Whenever politicians talk about fairness–other than fairness before the law–they are talking about policies that slow down growth through regulation and redistribution, removing the incentive to work and to succeed.
Corporate profits are at near-record highs and Americans are working as hard as ever – but paychecks have barely budged in real terms.
Families today are stretched in so many directions, and so are their budgets. Out-of-pocket costs of health care, childcare, caring for aging parents are rising a lot faster than wages.
Note that Clinton confines her claims to “paychecks.” Overall compensation levels, which include benefits, have risen. But she is correct that the cost of health care is rising for many–yet another knock against the Obama administration in which she served without protest.
“I hear this everywhere I go.
The single mom who talked to me about juggling a job and classes at community college, while raising three kids. She doesn’t expect anything to come easy, but if she got a raise, everything wouldn’t be quite so hard.
The grandmother who works around the clock providing childcare to other people’s kids.
She’s proud of her work but the pay is barely enough to live on, especially with the soaring price of her prescription drugs.

The young entrepreneur whose dream of buying the bowling alley where he worked as a teenager was nearly derailed by his student debt. If he can grow his business, he’ll be able to pay off his debt and pay his employees, including himself, more too.
Millions of hard-working Americans tell similar stories.
Wages need to rise to keep up with costs.
Paychecks need to grow.
Families who work hard and do their part deserve to get ahead and stay ahead.
The defining economic challenge of our time is clear:
We must raise incomes for hard-working Americans so they can afford a middle-class life. We must drive strong and steady income growth that lifts up families and lifts up our country.
The government does not pay any of the people Clinton describes. And when the government sets wages, the result is fewer workers and less growth. The way to help all of these people is to grow the economy–which is the opposite result of most of the policies Clinton is proposing.
And that will be my mission from the first day I’m President to the last. I will get up everyday thinking about the families of America, like the family that I came from with a hard working dad who started a small business and scrimped and saved and gave us a good middle class life. I’ll be thinking about all the people that I represented here in New York and the stories that they told me and that I worked with them to improve. And I will as your President take on this challenge against the backdrop of major changes in our economy and the global economy that didn’t start with the recession and won’t end with the recovery.
This is, ultimately, Hillary Clinton’s pitch to voters: that she’s like us, that she comes from the same place, etc. Interestingly, when she lived in that middle class suburb, she was a “Goldwater Girl.” Her liberalism arose from her ideological choices, not her economic origins.
You know advances in technology and expanding global trade have created whole new areas of commercial activity and opened new markets for our exports, but too often they’re also polarizing our economy – benefiting high-skilled workers but displacing or downgrading blue collar jobs and other midlevel jobs that used to provide solid incomes for millions of Americans.
Today’s marketplace focuses too much on the short term – like second-to-second financial trading and quarterly earnings reports – and too little on long-term investments.
This is an odd point to make. Is she proposing to outlaw day trading by small investors? Does she want to ban quarterly earnings statements? The implication seems to be that public goods–“long-term investments”–are superior to the vagaries of the private sector. The record of public spending suggests otherwise–and that some of those long-term “investments” do plenty of long-term damage.
Meanwhile, many Americans are making extra money renting out a spare room, designing websites, selling products they design themselves at home, or even driving their own car. This “on demand” or so-called “gig economy” is creating exciting opportunities and unleashing innovation but it’s also raising hard questions about workplace protections and what a good job will look like in the future.
It’s only raising those questions for the unions and monopolies that are threatened. Note that previews of the speech suggested Clinton might attack the “sharing economy.” Evidently, if you remind people that they are sharing with each other, they think it’s a good idea.
So all of these trends are real, and none, none is going away. But they don’t determine our destiny. The choices we make as a nation matter. And the choices we make in the years ahead will set the stage for what American life in the middle class in our economy will be like in this century.
In other words: government ought to have the most important say in how our society changes, so we must elect someone to use that power.
As President, I will work with every possible partner to turn the tide. To make these currents of change start working for us more than against us. To strengthen –not hollow out – the American middle class.
What is this “middle class” of which Clinton speaks? We are not a society with formal or even informal class distinctions. Does focusing on the “middle” mean leaving the poor behind? Does it mean that many wealthy people–like the Clintons–might feign “middle class” status?
Because I think at our best, that’s what Americans do. We’re problem solvers, not deniers. We don’t hide from change – we harness it.
The measure of our success must be how much incomes rise for hard-working families, not just for successful CEOs and money managers. And not just some arbitrary growth target untethered to people’s lives and livelihoods.
I want to see our economy work for the struggling, the striving, and the successful.
We’re not going to find all the answers we need today in the playbooks of the past. We can’t go back to the old policies that failed us before. Nor can we just replay previous successes. Today is not 1993 or 2009. We need solutions for the big challenges we face now.
Again, this amounts to an indictment of the Obama administration’s economic policies. The “old policies that failed” include those passed in 2009, which were passed almost exclusively by Democrats, and which saw Americans’ wealth decline and opportunities narrow significantly.
So today I am proposing an agenda to raise incomes for hard-working Americans. An agenda for strong growth, fair growth, and long-term growth.
Let me begin with strong growth.
More growth means more jobs and more new businesses. More jobs give people choices about where to work. And employers have to offer higher wages and better benefits in order to compete with each other to hire new workers and keep the productive ones. That’s why economists tell us that getting closer to full employment is crucial for raising incomes.
Small businesses create more than 60 percent of new American jobs on net. So they have to be a top priority. I’ve said I want to be the small business President, and I mean it. And throughout this campaign I’m going to be talking about how we empower entrepreneurs with less red tape, easier access to capital, tax relief and simplification.
This is boilerplate, the kind of thing any Republican might say. Actually, it would be more accurate to call these lines camouflage, since they are intended to hide the state-centered policies that Clinton plans to impose in the name of improving or refining that economic growth.
I’ll also push for broader business tax reform to spur investment in America, closing those loopholes that reward companies for sending jobs and profits overseas.
Just a reminder about the loophole that sends “profits overseas”: it’s not a loophole, but a burden, that is to blame. U.S. Companies prefer to earn abroad because the U.S. taxes them on both foreign and domestic earnings, and foreign corporate tax rates tend to be far lower.
And I know it’s not always how we think about this, but another engine of strong growth should be comprehensive immigration reform.
I want you to hear this: Bringing millions of hard-working people into the formal economy would increase our gross domestic product by an estimated $700 billion over 10 years.
That may be, but the country also has a fundamental national security interest in having secure borders. Adding illegal aliens to our social services costs a ton of money, and eroding the rule of law through amnesty undermines what makes America prosperous in the first place.
Then there are the new public investments that will help established businesses and entrepreneurs create the next generation of high-paying jobs.
“You know when we get Americans moving, we get our country moving.
So let’s establish an infrastructure bank that can channel more public and private funds, channel those funds to finance world-class airports, railways, roads, bridges and ports.
“Public investments”–a euphemism for government spending. The Obama administration used the term to cover its wasteful stimulus pork, which produced nothing. And an “infrastructure bank” is redundant. If a project stands a reasonable prospect of providing a return, it will eventually be undertaken by a private bank. The idea of a special “infrastructure bank” is either a gimmick or a vehicle for cronyism.
And let’s build those faster broadband networks – and make sure there’s a greater diversity of providers so consumers have more choice.
And really there’s no excuse not to make greater investments in cleaner, renewable energy right now. Our economy obviously runs on energy. And the time has come to make America the world’s clean energy superpower. I advocate that because these investments will create millions of jobs, save us money in the long run, and help us meet the threats of climate change.
Like Solyndra? Government does a shocking job of investing in clean energy, or in much else. Have we learned our lesson? Clinton has not.
And let’s fund the scientific and medical research that spawns innovative companies and creates entire new industries, just as the project to sequence the human genome did in the 1990s, and President Obama’s initiatives on precision medicine and brain research will do in the coming years.
Note that one of the main new obstacles to medical research and innovation is Obamacare, which taxes medical devices, among other things.
I will set ambitious goals in all of these areas in the months ahead.
But today let me emphasize another key ingredient of strong growth that often goes overlooked and undervalued: breaking down barriers so more Americans participate more fully in the workforce – especially women.
We are in a global competition, as I’m sure you have noticed, and we can’t afford to leave talent on the sidelines, but that’s exactly what we’re doing today. When we leave people out, or write them off, we not only shortchange them and their dreams — we shortchange our country and our future.
The movement of women into the workforce over the past forty years was responsible for more than three and a half trillion dollars in economic growth.
But that progress has stalled. The United States used to rank 7th out of 24 advanced countries in women’s labor force participation. By 2013, we had dropped to 19th. That represents a lot of unused potential for our economy and for American families.
Studies show that nearly a third of this decline relative to other countries is because they’re expanding family-friendly policies like paid leave and we are not.
There is something interesting missing from this part of the speech, and it is the usual 78-cents-on-the-dollar gender pay gap that Clinton usually trots out. That statistic has been debunked–and is usually met with questions about why Clinton has paid her own female staff less.
We should be making it easier for Americans to be both good workers and good parents and caregivers. Women who want to work should be able to do so without worrying every day about how they’re going to take care of their children or what will happen if a family member gets sick.
You know last year while I was at the hospital here in Manhattan waiting for little Charlotte to make her grand entrance, one of the nurses said, “Thank you for fighting for paid leave.” And we began to talk about it. She sees first-hand what it means for herself and her colleagues as well as for the working parents that she helps take care of.
It’s time to recognize that quality, affordable childcare is not a luxury – it’s a growth strategy. And it’s way past time to end the outrage of so many women still earning less than men on the job — and women of color making even less.
All this lost money adds up and for some women, it’s thousands of dollars every year.
Now I am well aware that for far too long, these challenges have been dismissed by some as “women’s issues.”
Well those days are over.
Fair pay and fair scheduling, paid family leave and earned sick days, child care are essential to our competitiveness and growth.
And we can do this in a way that doesn’t impose unfair burdens on businesses – especially small businesses.
The latest fashion in left-wing entitlements is guaranteed child care, pre-K education, and paid leave. (Obamacare takes care of the “grave” part of “cradle-to-grave”; now they’re working on the cradle.) The trouble is that there is no way to provide these things without hurting the economy–either through taxes, or through employer mandates (which have had a devastating impact on full-time work in Obamacare). And, as usual, providing these things for free tends to undermine the incentives to work hard, be productive and create opportunity for others.
As President, I’ll fight to put families first – just like I have my entire career.
Well, her family, anyway.
Now, beyond strong growth, we also need fair growth. And that will be the second key driver of rising incomes.
The evidence is in: Inequality is a drag on our entire economy, so this is the problem we need to tackle.
You may have heard Governor Bush say last week that Americans just need to work longer hours. Well, he must not have met very many American workers.
Let him tell that to the nurse who stands on her feet all day or the trucker who drives all night. Let him tell that to the fast food workers marching in the streets for better pay. They don’t need a lecture – they need a raise.
This, of course, is a distortion of what Bush said (rather inartfully). He was referring to the rise of part-time work, as employers attempt to avoid the onerous provisions of Obamacare. Bush’s point was that we need to dump regulations that prevent people from working full-time.
The truth is, the current rules for our economy reward some work – like financial trading – much more than other work, like actually building and selling things the work that’s always been the backbone of our economy.
That is true of every economy in the history of human civilization. Some work creates more value for other people, even if that work does not seem as difficult or unpleasant as other jobs. Without different rewards, there is no incentive for the education Clinton spoke about earlier.
To get all incomes rising again, we need to strike a better balance. If you work hard, you ought to be paid fairly. So we have to raise the minimum wage and implement President Obama’s new rules on overtime. And then we have to go further.
In other words: we have to limit the number of entry-level jobs by artificially inflating wages, thereby denying new generations of minority youth that first step on the employment ladder, while at the same time raising the cost of living further in expensive urban areas.
I’ll crack down on bosses who exploit employees by misclassifying them as contractors or even steal their wages.
A relevant question: is Hillary Clinton paying all her interns?
To make paychecks stretch, we need to take on the major strains on family budgets. I’ll protect the Affordable Care Act – and build on it to lower out-of-pocket health care costs and to make prescription drugs more affordable.
More spending on bad policy. Clinton’s prescriptions also ignore the fact that the cost of the insurance plans themselves is spiraling out of control. By the time the next president takes office in 2017, Obamacare is likely to need radical surgery, if not outright repeal.
We’ll help families look forward to retirement by defending and enhancing Social Security and making it easier to save for the future.
Meaningless. Note the use of the word “save,” which perpetuates the delusion that Social Security is actually a savings plan. When Republicans like
Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI)
58%

attempt to introduce personal savings to Social Security, Democrats accuse them of throwing grandma off a cliff.
Now many of these proposals are time-tested and more than a little battle-scarred. We need new ideas as well. And one that I believe in and will fight for is profit sharing.
Hard working Americans deserve to benefit from the record corporate earnings they help produce. So I will propose ways to encourage companies to share profits with their employees.
That’s good for workers and good for business.
Studies show profit-sharing that gives everyone a stake in a company’s success can boost productivity and put money directly into employees’ pockets. It’s a win-win.
Later this week in New Hampshire, I’ll have more to say about how we do this.
Do tell. The basic way to share profits is to provide employees with shares, either by selling them existing shares or by creating new ones to give them or sell them. These are potentially good ideas, but they all involve the interests of existing shareholders, who should be allowed to decide for themselves whether profit sharing is good for their companies–or worth the potential dilution of existing shareholder value.
Another priority must be reforming our tax code.
Now we hear Republican candidates talk a lot about tax reform. But take a good look at their plans. Senator Rubio’s would cut taxes for households making around $3 million a year by almost $240,000 – which is way more than three times the earnings of a typical family. Well that’s a sure budget-busting give-away to the super-wealthy. And that’s the kind of bad economics you’re likely to get from any of the candidates on the other side.
If it benefits the rich, it must be bad, according to Clinton. Margaret Thatcher’s valedictory speech comes to mind: they “would rather the poor were poorer, provided the rich were less rich.” Clinton isn’t really aiming to help the poor. She’s just stoking class warfare for votes.
I have a different take, guided by some simple principles.
First, hard-working families need and deserve tax relief and simplification.
Second, those at the top have to pay their fair share. That’s why I support the Buffett Rule, which makes sure that millionaires don’t pay lower rates than their secretaries.
I have also called for closing the carried interest loophole, which lets wealthy financiers pay an artificially low rate.
And let’s agree that hugely successful companies that benefit from everything America has to offer should not be able to game the system and avoid paying their fair share… especially while companies who can’t afford high-price lawyers and lobbyists end up paying more.
These are all familiar proposals. What is interesting is that Clinton is not explicitly calling for raising tax rates. She knows that to do so would provide Republicans with the fattest imaginable political target. Her socialist rival, Bernie Sanders, will take her to task for this.
Alongside tax reform, it’s time to stand up to efforts across our country to undermine worker bargaining power, which has been proven again and again to drive up wages.
Republicans governors like Scott Walker have made their names stomping on workers’ rights. And practically all the Republican candidates hope to do the same as President.
I will fight back against these mean-spirited, misguided attacks.
Evidence shows that the decline of unions may be responsible for a third of the increase of inequality among men. So if we want to get serious about raising incomes, we have to get serious about supporting workers.
This, along with Clinton’s attack on the “gig economy,” is a sop to the unions–and a sign that the Clintons that would return to the White House are radically different from the “New Democrats” who arrived in 1993. Notably, Clinton singles out Scott Walker, whose collective bargaining reforms in Wisconsin saved thousands of public sector jobs and helped revive Wisconsin’s economy. The Wisconsin reforms had nothing to do with hurting workers’ rights, and everything to do with rolling back the power of union bosses to hurt individual workers and taxpayers in general. It is no accident that right-to-work states have higher levels of growth and job creation. The fact that Clinton adopts the unions’ vicious and unfair rhetoric about Walker, “workers’ rights,” and “mean-spirited” policies shows how little she cares about growth.
And let me just say a word here about trade. The Greek crisis as well as the Chinese stock market have reminded us that growth here at home and growth an ocean away are linked in a common global economy. Trade has been a major driver of the economy over recent decades but it has also contributed to hollowing out our manufacturing base and many hard-working communities. So we do need to set a high bar for trade agreements.
We should support them if they create jobs, raise wages, and advance our national security. And we should be prepared to walk away if they don’t.
Neither the Greek crisis nor the Chinese stock market crash has anything to do with trade. (They both have something to do with failed spending and regulatory policies, both of which Democrats embrace.) Clinton is merely exploiting fear of foreign crisis to bash trade. Notably, she is backing away from free trade policies that she explicitly supportedwhen she was Secretary of State under Obama.
To create fair growth, we need to create opportunity for more Americans.
I love the saying by Abraham Lincoln, who in many ways was not only the President who saved our union, but the president who understood profoundly the importance of the middle class, and the importance of the government playing its role in providing opportunities. He talked about giving Americans a fair chance in the race of life. I believe that with all my heart. But I also believe it has to start really early at birth. High quality early learning, especially in the first five years, can set children on the course for future success and raise lifetime incomes by 25 percent.
The only reference to the term “middle class” in a document associated with Abraham Lincoln–at least in my cursory Internet research–is a letter to Lincoln from Karl Marx, the founder of modern communism. Liberty, not class, was the essence of Lincoln’s economic vision.
I’m committed to seeing every 4-year old in America have access to high-quality preschool in the next ten years. But I want to do more. I want to call for a great outpouring of support from our faith community, our business community, our academic institutions, from philanthropy and civic groups and concerned citizens to really help parents, particularly parents who are facing a lot of obstacles. To really help prepare their own children in that zero to four age group.
80% of your brain is physically formed by age of three. That’s why families like mine read, talk, and sing endlessly to our granddaughter. I’ve said that her first words are going to be enough with the reading, and the talking, and the singing. But we do it not only because we love doing it, even though I’ll admit it’s a little embarrassing to be reading a book to a two-week old, or a six-week old, a ten-week old. But we do it because we understand that it’s building her capacity for learning. And the research shows that by the time she enters kindergarten she will have heard 30 million more words than I child from a less privileged background.
Think of what we are losing because we are not doing everything we can to reach out to those families and we know again from so much research here in the United States and around the world that the early help, that mentoring, that intervention to help those often-stressed out young moms understand more about what they can do and avoid the difficulties that stand in the way of their being able to get their child off to the best start.
We also have to invest in our students and teachers at every level.
And in the coming weeks and months, I’ll lay out specific steps to improve our schools, make college truly affordable, and help Americans refinance their student debt.
Let’s embrace the idea of lifelong learning. In an age of technological change, we need to provide pathways to get skills and credentials for new occupations, and create online platforms to connect workers to jobs. There are exciting efforts underway and I want to support and scale the ones that show results.
Note that in this long-winded paean to public education and pre-K entitlements and so on, there is not a single word about the most important education reforms on the table: charter schools, school choice, school vouchers, merit pay, an end to teacher tenure, and others. Here Clinton is showing that her supposedly pro-growth, pro-opportunity policies are canceled out by her fealty to the teachers’ unions.
As we pursue all these policies, we can’t forget our fellow Americans hit so hard and left behind by this changing economy— from the inner cities to coal country to Indian country. Talent is universal – you find it everywhere – but opportunity is not.
There are nearly 6 million young people aged 16 to 24 in America today who are not in school or at work. The numbers for young people of color are particularly staggering. A quarter of young black men and nearly 15 percent of all Latino youth cannot find a job.
We’ve got to do a better way of coming up to match the growing middle class incomes we want to generate with more pathways into the middle class. I firmly believe that the best anti-poverty program is a job, but that’s hard to say if there are not enough jobs for people that we are trying to help lift themselves out of poverty.
That’s why I’ve called for reviving the New Markets Tax Credit and Empowerment Zones to create greater incentives to invest in poor and remote areas.
When all Americans have the chance to study hard, work hard, and share in our country’s prosperity – that’s fair growth. It’s what I’ve always believed in and it’s what I will fight for as President.
This is a laudable section of Clinton’s speech, because it is inspired by Republican policies, particularly those of Jack Kemp, who pioneered the idea of Empowerment Zones. This is the one “Clintonesque” turn in Hillary’s address, in that it appropriates conservative ideas. It is just decorative, however–because, again, it fails to call for school reform, suspending minimum wage laws or easing regulations to create jobs.
Now, the third key driver of income alongside strong growth and fair growth must be long-term growth.
Too many pressures in our economy today push us toward short-termism. Many business leaders see this. They’ve talked to me about. One has called it the problem of “quarterly capitalism.” They say everything’s focused on the next earnings report or the short-term share price. The result is too little attention on the sources of long-term growth: research and development, physical capital, and talent.
Net business investment – which includes things like factories, machines, and research labs – has declined as a share of the economy. In recent years, some of our biggest companies have spent more than half their earnings to buy back their own stock, and another third or more to pay dividends. That doesn’t leave a lot left to raise pay or invest in the workers who made those profits possible or to make the new investments necessary to insure a company’s future success. These trends need to change. And I believe that many business leaders are eager to embrace their responsibilities, not just to today’s share price but also to workers, communities, and ultimately to our country and indeed our planet.
I’m not talking about charity – I’m talking about clear-eyed capitalism. Many companies have prospered by improving wages and training their workers that then yield higher productivity, better service, and larger profits.
Now it’s easy to try to cut costs by holding down or decreasing pay and other investments to inflate quarterly stock prices, but I would argue that’s bad for business in the long run.
And, it’s really bad for our country.
Workers are assets. Investing in them pays off. Higher wages pay off. And training pays off.
To help more companies do that, I’ve proposed a new $1,500 apprenticeship tax credit for every worker they train and hire.
It is not clear that Clinton knows what she is talking about. She has no track record of independent business success. Presumably, businesses and their owners or shareholders know best–or, at least, better than government. The tax credit she is proposing is not a new idea. There were similar tax credits under Obama. Most were gobbled up by companies that were already planning to hire new workers. They had little effect on employment decisions. And $1,500 is simply a laughable amount when compared to the cost of training a new employee.
And I will soon be proposing a new plan to reform capital gains taxes to reward longer-term investments that create jobs more than just quick trades.
I will also propose reforms to help CEOs and shareholders alike focus on the next decade rather than just the next day. Making sure stock buybacks aren’t being used only for an immediate boost in share prices. Empowering outside investors who want to build companies but discouraging “cut and run” shareholders who act more like old-school corporate raiders. And nowhere will the shift from short-term to long-term be more important than on Wall Street.
As a former Senator from New York, I know first-hand the role that Wall Street can and should play in our economy – helping Main Street grow and prosper and boosting new companies that make America more competitive globally.
But, as we all know, in the years before the crash, financial firms piled risk upon risk. And regulators in Washington either couldn’t or wouldn’t keep up.
I was alarmed by this gathering storm, and called for addressing the risks of derivatives, cracking down on subprime mortgages, and improving financial oversight.
Here Clinton is playing to left-wing suspicions of Wall Street. Note that in her list of causes for the 2007-8 financial crisis and crash, she leaves out the government’s role in pushing bad mortgages. Not a word about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, or other ways in which the government distorted the market. Instead, she is offering the discredited theory that government knows best how to operate the markets.
Under President Obama’s leadership, we’ve imposed tough new rules that deal with some of the challenges on Wall Street. But those rules have been under assault by Republicans in Congress and those running for President.
I will fight back against these attacks and protect the reforms we’ve made. We can do that and still ease burdens on community banks to encourage responsible loans to local people and businesses they know and trust.
“We also have to go beyond Dodd-Frank.
Too many of our major financial institutions are still too complex and too risky. And the problems are not limited to the big banks that get all the headlines. Serious risks are emerging from institutions in the so-called “shadow banking” system – including hedge funds, high frequency traders, non-bank finance companies – so many new kinds of entities which receive little oversight at all.
This argument can be summarized as follows: “Math is hard. Therefore I will stop math.” Financial transactions will remain complicated–not least because the increasing regulatory burden of Dodd-Frank and similar laws makes the financial world much harder to understand.
Stories of misconduct by individuals and institutions in the financial industry are shocking. HSBC allowing drug cartels to launder money. Five major banks pleading guilty to felony charges for conspiring to manipulate currency exchange and interest rates. There can be no justification or tolerance for this kind of criminal behavior.
And while institutions have paid large fines and in some cases admitted guilt, too often it has seemed that the human beings responsible get off with limited consequences – or none at all, even when they’ve already pocketed the gains.
This is wrong and, on my watch, it will change.
Over the course of this campaign, I will offer plans to rein in excessive risks on Wall Street and ensure that stock markets work for everyday investors, not just high frequency traders and those with the best – or fastest – connections.
I will appoint and empower regulators who understand that Too Big To Fail is still too big a problem.
We’ll ensure that no firm is too complex to manage or oversee.
And we will prosecute individuals as well as firms when they commit fraud or other criminal wrongdoing.
And when the government recovers money from corporations or individuals for harming the public, it should go into a separate trust fund to benefit the public. It, could for example, help modernize infrastructure or even be returned directly to taxpayers.
This is all just left-wing boilerplate, extended at length to convince the Democratic Party base that they can vote for Clinton and still get Bernie Sanders or
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
15%

in spirit. The answer to “too big to fail” is not more regulation, but less–i.e. allowing firms to bear their own risk. As for prosecutions–Clinton was part of an administration that shied away from prosecuting Wall Street firms and executives, because much of what they did likely complied with the law, and perhaps because the Justice Department had close ties with Wall Street.
Now reform is never easy. But we have done it before in our country. But we have to get this right. And we need leadership from the financial industry and across the private sector to join with us.
Two years ago, the head of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Terry Duffy, published an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal that really caught my attention. He wrote, and I quote: “I’m concerned that those of us in financial services have forgotten who we serve—and that the public knows it… Some Wall Streeters can too easily slip into regarding their work as a kind of money-making game divorced from the concerns of Main Street.”
I think we should listen to Terry Duffy.
Indeed we should, Mrs. Clinton. Too many in Washington regard their work as a kind of money-making game. Including you and Bill.
Of course, long-term growth is only possible if the public sector steps up as well.
So it’s time to end the era of budget brinksmanship and stop careening from one self-inflicted crisis to another. It’s time to stop having debates over the small stuff and focus on how we’re going to tackle the big stuff together:
How do we respond to technological change in a way that creates more good jobs than it displaces or destroys?
Can we sustain a boom in advanced manufacturing?
What are the best ways to nurture start-ups outside the successful corridors like Silicon Valley?
Questions like these demand thoughtful and mature debate from our policy makers in government, from our leaders in the private sector, and our economists, our academics, and others who can come to the table on behalf of America and perform their patriotic duty to ensure that our economy keeps working and our middle class keeps growing.
Notice what these questions do not demand, for Clinton–that government live within its means. She begins by talking about ending “budget brinkmanship”–and then diverts into talking about abstract economic debates rather than calling for serious fiscal reform. Why was the idea of a balanced budget good for Mr. Clinton, but no good for Mrs. Clinton? Or is it just to be a talking point, rather than a policy possibility?
So government has to be smarter, simpler, more focused itself on long-term investments than short-term politics – and be a better partner to cities, states, and the private sector.
Isn’t the best way to make government smarter, simpler, and more focused to make it smaller? To have it do only what it does best?
Washington has to be a better steward of America’ tax-dollars and Americans’ trust. And please let’s get back to making decisions that rely on evidence more than ideology.
It is not clear what she means by “evidence more than ideology”–perhaps that is a sop to climate change, or the old stem-cell research debate–but if Clinton is looking for evidence-based economic policies, she will have to jettison much of what she is proposing in this speech.
That’s what I’ll do as President. I will seek out and welcome any good idea that is actually based on reality. I want to have principled and pragmatic and progressive policies that really move us forward together and I will propose ways to ensure that our fiscal outlook is sustainable — including by continuing to restrain healthcare costs, which remain one of the key drivers of long-term deficits. I will make sure Washington learns from how well local governments, business, and non-profits are working together in successful cities and towns across America.
You know passing legislation is not the only way to drive progress. As President, I’ll use the power to convene, connect, and collaborate to build partnerships that actually get things done.
Because above all, we have to break out of the poisonous partisan gridlock and focus on the long-term needs of our country.
This is all meaningless waffle, but does exploit the idea that Obama has been such a divisive president that Americans are hungry for anyone–especially a Democrat, since the left is driving much of the division–who is capable of a more cooperative approach to politics.
I confess maybe it’s the grandmother in me, but I believe that part of public service is planting trees under whose shade you’ll never sit.
And the vision I’ve laid our here today – for strong growth, fair growth, and long term growth, all working together — will get incomes rising again, will help working families get ahead and stay ahead.
That is the test of our time. And I’m inviting everyone to please join me, to do your part, that’s what great countries do. That’s what our country always has done. We rise to challenges.
It’s not about left, right, or center – it’s about the future versus the past.
I’m running for President to build an America for tomorrow, not yesterday.
An America built on growth and fairness.
An America where if you do your part, you will reap the rewards.

Where we don’t leave anyone out, or anyone behind.
Thank you all. Thank you. I just want to leave you with one more thought.
I want every child, every child in our country, not just the granddaughter of a former President or a former secretary of state, but every child to have the chance to live up to his or her God-given potential.
Please join me in that mission. Let’s do it all together.
Thank you so much.
The speech ends weakly, with little idea of what Clinton wants to achieve. She acknowledges some of Obama’s failures, but provides no real break with his policies. She borrows a few good conservative ideas, more as rhetorical devices than proposals . She hews to a hard pro-union line, backs the regulatory state, and makes no commitment to repair the country’s debts or deficits.
Her only selling point seems to be that Bill Clinton did a great job–even if he governed along lines she no longer accepts. She is offering nostalgia, not policy. Sadly, that may be enough

Tokens
[h=1]MEDIA LABEL TRUMP RACIST, GEORGE WALLACE TYPE[/h]

ap_donald-trump_ap-photo16-640x478.jpg
The Associated Press

by BEN SHAPIRO13 Jul 201512

[h=2]On Sunday, NBC News Meet The Press host Chuck Todd attacked Republican 2016 presidential candidate Donald Trump as a neo-segregationist.[/h]After listening to Maria Hinojosa, anchor and producer of Latino USA on National Public Radio, bash Trump’s rhetoric on illegal immigration as akin to the anti-Japanese racism of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the racism of Strom Thurmond, Todd commented:
We’ve seen versions of Donald Trump over the years. And I just don’t mean versions of this Donald Trump, but I mean, you know, a George Wallace and things like this. This does happen. And they do strike a chord.
Repeat plagiarist Doris Kearns Goodwin, who is still a revered guest on major network news, chimed in on the role of journalists:
We, as journalists, have a responsibility to figure out which candidates are likely to be our leaders. I remember talking with Tim Russert about this. Rather than who’s got the most money, who’s saying the most outrageous thing, who has the highest polls, who is likely to be a leader? They’ve shown qualities already. This guy has shown qualities I cannot imagine him as a presidential leader.
Having “journalists” judge which candidates are worthy inherently introduces an element of selection bias into the criteria for coverage. Obviously, Democrats in the media do not consider Martin O’Malley worthy of coverage, but consider Bernie Sanders infinitely more worthy; obviously, Democrats don’t consider Bobby Jindal worthy of coverage, but consider Carly Fiorina worthy of coverage. These decisions seem to be made along lines of political expedience rather than polling data or any other objective criteria.
More troubling, however, are Todd’s comments. The left has an unhelpful habit of calling everything with which they disagree racist. Here is what Trump said, directly:
When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
There is nothing racist here. Uncomfortably overbroad and ill-stated, of course, as is Trump’s wont. But not racist, for two reasons. First, Trump specifically talks about illegal immigrants from Mexico. Illegal immigrants are not a race. They are a subset. Actually, Trump should have mentioned illegal immigrants crossing America’s southern border from a broad variety of countries south of the American border. Second, Trump specifically mentions, albeit awkwardly, that there are some good people who are illegal immigrants, and there are some who are criminals.
Contrast that with the rhetoric of segregationist George Wallace, a four-term Democrat governor from Alabama. Wallace told his finance director in 1958, after being beaten in a gubernatorial run, “I was out-n*****ed, and I will never be out-n*****ed again.” Wallace infamously declared he was for “segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever.” According to reporter Tony Heffernan, Wallace “never said anything but ‘Negro’ in public, but in personal conversation, they were ‘n*****s,’” and referred to Senator Edward Brooke (D-MA) as a “n***** senator from Massachusetts.” He reportedly stated, “All these countries with n*****s in ‘em have stayed the same for a thousand years.”
Has Trump said anything remotely like that? He has said that federal immigration law ought to be enforced. He has said that America’s failure to enforce its immigration laws means that criminals, including rapists and drug dealers, cross the borders. He has said that the Mexican government has been happy to facilitate the movement of people across America’s southern border, and that those people are typically not computer engineers. Trump may be guilty of vaguely-worded implications, but he’s not guilty of racism. And he’s certainly no George Wallace.
If Democrats want a George Wallace type, they ought to look across the aisle to Hillary Clinton. Wallace was well-known as a liberal judge before running for governor in 1958; he said, “I want to tell the good people of this state as a judge of the 3rd Judicial Circuit, if I didn’t have what it took to treat a man fair regardless of his color, then I don’t have what it takes to be the governor of your great state.” He swiveled on a dime after losing that election, and campaigned as an overt racist preaching the fire and brimstone of segregation.
Such machinations are familiar to another prominent Democrat.
Hillary Clinton once called traditional marriage a “sacred bond between a man and a woman…the fundamental bedrock principle that exists between a man and woman.” Hillary Clinton once said “I am, you know, adamantly against illegal immigrants…people have to stop employing illegal immigrants. I mean, come up to Westchester, go to Suffolk and Nassau counties, stand on the street corners in Brooklyn or the Bronx [and] you’re going to see loads of people waiting to get picked up to go do yard work and construction work and domestic work.” Then she got beat by Barack Obama.
Now, with the political winds shifting, she has become a militant anti-religious bigot, stating, “religious beliefs and structural biases have to be changed.” Now, trying to pick up the Hispanic vote, her qualms have disappeared – she says she is for sanctuary cities and wants to go further than Barack Obama in her executive actions to preserve the presence of illegal immigrants in the country.
But don’t worry – Hillary will never be compared to George Wallace, or Margaret Sanger, or even George McGovern or Walter Mondale. Only Trump will be castigated in this fashion. After all, the media get to decide for us who are the truly legitimate candidates.

Tokens
[h=1]Hillary hammers Jeb on jobs and the economy, saying American workers 'need a raise' – but gets HECKLED by an anti-Wall Street protester in the middle of her speech[/h]
  • Clinton swiped at Jeb Bush over his claim that Americans need to work longer hours to get ahead
  • Her solution is mandated wage increases instead of more time with noses to grindstones
  • 'They don't need a lecture. They need a raise,' she said
  • Protester was thrown out of the auditorium at the left-wing New School in NYC for yelling a question about reviving a defunct anti-Wall Street law
By ASSOCIATED PRESS and DAVID MARTOSKO, US POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 17:21, 13 July 2015 | UPDATED: 22:21, 13 July 2015
Hillary Rodham Clinton accused former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush of lacking an understanding of the needs of American workers on Monday - using an agenda-setting economic speech to cast Republican prescriptions for the economy as relics of the past that would do little to boost wages for the middle-class.
But in the middle of her presentation at the famously progressive New School in New York City, a protester heckled her with demands that she separate commercial and investment banks as a populist move against Wall Street.
The protester, later identified as Daniel Burke, a supporter of far-left political gadfly Lyndon LaRouche, demanded to know if Clinton would restore the Glass-Seagall Act as president.
That law, repealed in 1999 after six years on the books, had limited the ability of commercial banks to deal in securities.
Clinton didn't respond to Burke. Her supporters drowned him out with clapping before he was ejected from the auditorium.

2A7F6D8E00000578-3159128-image-a-4_1436808100788.jpg

+16

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke in New York on Monday, unveiling her latest batch of economic rhetorical swipes at Republicans, especially former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush

2A7FD1D100000578-3159128-Heckled_Daniel_Burke_a_Lyndon_LaRouche_acolyte_shouted_a_questio-m-16_1436819943715.jpg

+16

Heckled: Daniel Burke, a Lyndon LaRouche acolyte, shouted a question at Hillary during her speech Monday

2A7F9A4F00000578-3159128-image-m-12_1436819639313.jpg

+16

He was ejected by security at the New School auditorium after yelling that she should separate commercial and investment banks if she becomes President

2A8146A800000578-3159128-Burke_pictured_as_he_began_heckling_Hillary_is_a_supporter_of_fa-m-39_1436821430371.jpg

+16

Burke, pictured as he began heckling Hillary, is a supporter of far-left political gadfly Lyndon LaRouche

With the opposition muzzled, Clinton outlined the tenets of her economic agenda, seizing upon recent comments from Bush – who said last week in New Hampshire that 'people need to work longer hours' in order to advance through the modern U.S. jobs economy.
'We have to be a lot more productive. Workforce participation has to rise from its all-time modern lows,' Bush said in an interview with the Manchester, New Hampshire Union Leader during an interview that was simulcast online.
'It means that people need to work longer hours and, through their productivity, gain more income for their families,' Bush said. 'That's the only way we're going to get out of this rut that we're in.'
Clinton pushed back hard, saying that Bush 'must not have met many American workers,' and said he wouldn't hear that sentiment from teachers or nurses or truck drivers. 'They don't need a lecture. They need a raise,' she said.
The Democratic presidential front-runner outlined the themes of her economic agenda in a speech at The New School in New York City, where she called raising incomes for hard-working Americans the defining economic challenge facing the nation.
The speech offered tough medicine for Wall Street traders just a few blocks away and included swipes at other leading Republican presidential candidates, including Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, who was launching his campaign on Monday.

2A8147EC00000578-3159128-image-m-37_1436820941076.jpg
2A81480400000578-3159128-image-m-38_1436820958373.jpg

+16

+16

Hillary Clinton became very animated during her agenda-setting economic speech Monday

2A8147E800000578-3159128-image-a-35_1436820928530.jpg
2A8147A800000578-3159128-image-a-36_1436820928531.jpg

+16

+16

She said that hard-working Americans needed a raise, not a lecture, in a dig at Bush's recent comments

2A80F9F100000578-3159128-image-a-18_1436810032792.jpg

+16

Clinton leaving the New School after her speech. She requires a constant security detail in NYC – provided by taxpayers – because she is a former First Lady

2A80288B00000578-3159128-Toodles_Clinton_left_her_speaking_venue_and_wakled_to_her_custom-m-15_1436819915223.jpg

+16

Toodles: Clinton gets into her customized van under the watchful eye of her staff and Secret Service agents

2A7E863900000578-3159128-image-a-6_1436808124723.jpg

+16

Jeb Bush (pictured) said last week that Americans would have to work longer hours to get ahead - an idea that Clinton rejects in favor of mandatory wage hikes at the bottom end of the income scale

She specifically criticized a tax proposal put forward by Rubio, saying it would significantly cut taxes for households earning $3 million a year.
'That's a sure budget-busting giveaway to the super-wealthy,' Clinton said. She also ripped into Walker, saying he was an example of a GOP governor who had 'made their names stomping on workers' rights.'
During a stop in New Hampshire last week, Bush had been discussing the high number of part-time workers listed among the roster of employed Americans, and the need for people to find more full-time employment.
Democrats have seized upon the comments, hoping it will undermine the ability of the brother and son of U.S. presidents to connect with middle-class workers.
Allie Brandenburger, a Bush spokeswoman, said in response that Clinton was 'proposing the same failed policies we have seen in the Obama economy, where the typical American household's income has declined and it's harder for businesses to hire and the middle class to achieve rising incomes.'

2A7F263700000578-3159128-image-a-7_1436808131080.jpg

+16

Love fest: With the lone heckler out of the way, Clinton delivered an economic speech to a receptive and partisan crowd at the famously progressive New School

Republicans note that under Obama, the workplace participation rate has declined to their lowest levels since 1977 and the labor force includes millions of people working in part-time jobs who would prefer working full-time.
In a sign of his stature in the GOP field, Bush received the brunt of Clinton's criticism. At one point, Clinton said the nation's economy should not be measured by 'some arbitrary growth targets untethered to people's lives and livelihoods.'
That was a veiled reference to Bush, who has said he would set a goal of 4 percent economic growth, including 19 million jobs, if elected president, and would seek to harness innovation and technology.
Clinton, meanwhile, made no mention of her chief Democratic rival, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who has wooed Democrats by making economic inequality the central plank of his insurgent campaign.
But her message appeared aimed at liberals who have expressed anxiety about the uneven recovery of the economy since the Great Recession.
2A80F80C00000578-3159128-image-a-19_1436810145074.jpg

+16

Scooby sighting: The 'Scooby Doo' van idled on the street waiting for Clinton to emerge from her speech on Monday

2A80F9D100000578-3159128-image-a-20_1436810149848.jpg

+16

Body woman: Former State Department deputy chief of staff Huma Abedin (center) accompanied Clinton on her speaking trip and is never far from her side

Clinton pointed to the economic progress during her husband's two terms in the 1990s and more recently under President Barack Obama. But she said that globalization and technological changes require the next president to take steps to help middle-class Americans participate in economic prosperity.
'Today is not 1993. It's not 2009. So we need solutions for the big challenges we face now,' Clinton said.
She pointed to a laundry list of Democratic-leaning policy ideas, including more public investment in infrastructure projects like the construction of roads and bridges, advancing renewable energy and tax cuts for small business owners.
Clinton also expressed support for an increase in the federal minimum wage, an overhaul to the tax code, and policies proposals related to child care, paid leave and paid sick days.
But in framing her economic vision, Clinton attempted to meet the demands of liberals within her own party who question her willingness to regulate Wall Street.
Some of those Democrats have rallied behind Sanders and many progressives note that Clinton has received backing from the financial sector in past races and received lucrative speaking fees to address Wall Street conferences.
Clinton urged corporate leaders to 'embrace their responsibilities' to workers, threatening tougher action against those who behave badly.
2A7FCBA600000578-3159128-image-a-8_1436808183255.jpg

+16

Not many specifics: Clinton spoke in broad brushstrokes about new challenges and new solutions but provided little in the way of nuts-and-bolts answers

2A7FC41400000578-3159128-image-a-10_1436808214348.jpg

+16

Hero worship: 21-year-old Chelsea Galinos painted a portrait of the democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton and showed it to her on Monday in New York

She vowed to expand the Dodd-Frank law passed by Congress in 2010, which tightened regulation of financial institutions. Clinton said the rules were 'under assault' by Republicans – and advocated increased government oversight not only of the country's' biggest banks but of hedge funds, high-frequency traders, and other powerful financial players.
She leveled a subtle swipe against the Obama administration, which took no action against the individual financial titans who pursued risky fiscal practices that contributed to the 2008 financial crisis. Clinton promised criminal prosecutions of bad bankers.
She said financial figures too often 'get off with limited consequences or none at all, even when they have already pocked the gains.'
'This is wrong and on my watch it will change,' she said. Clinton said she would offer plans to 'rein in excessive risks on Wall Street and make sure stock markets work for everyday investors.'

.Clinton's economic framework will be followed by a series of speeches this summer to outline a number of economic proposals, including wage growth, college affordability, corporate accountability and paid leave. She plans to discuss the need for corporate profit-sharing during a stop in New Hampshire on Thursday.
Clinton's high-profile economic speech coincided with a courting of labor groups and Hispanic officials, who also are being wooed by Sanders and former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley.
Clinton received the endorsement of the American Federation of Teachers union on Saturday and both Clinton and Sanders were holding private meetings with labor leaders later in the week.
The three Democratic contenders were addressing the National Council of La Raza conference in Kansas City later Monday, appealing to members of the nation's largest Latino advocacy organization

Tokens
[h=2]Heckler Thrown from Hillary Clinton Economic Speech After Wall Street Question[/h]SHARE
TWEET
EMAIL

HIllary Clinton / AP

BY: Morgan Chalfant
July 13, 2015 1:14 pm

A heckler was ejected from Hillary Clinton’s economic speech in New York City Monday after asking the former secretary of state about her position on investment banking regulations.
Business Insider reported that Daniel Burke, a self-identified organizer for the LaRouche PAC which supports political activist Lyndon LaRouche, yelled at Clinton at the conclusion of her speech, “Senator Clinton, will you restore Glass-Steagall?”
Clinton did not respond to the inquiry, and Burke was removed from the event location, the New School in Manhattan, by security.
Passed in 1933 and then repealed 66 years later, the Glass-Steagall Act separates commercial banks from investment banks. A group of bipartisan lawmakers—led by progressive Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren—are spearheading a campaign to restore the law.
Clinton, however, has not come out for or against restoring the law. Her 2016 Democratic foesMartin O’Malley and Bernie Sanders, on the other hand, have both expressed support for the reinstatement of Glass-Steagall.
The heckler emphasized the need for Clinton to take questions on this topic—and others—to establish her positions.
She should take questions so that these things could be raised,” Burke declared.
While Clinton spoke critically of Wall Street during her remarks Monday, she did not get specific on her policies to deal with “risky” financial institutions.
The heckler’s expulsion from the event Monday comes on the heels of the first nationally-televised interview of Hillary’s presidential run, during which she sidestepped questions about the $10 bill and Saturday Night Live and made false claims about her personal email system.
The Democratic presidential candidate has become infamous for her avoidance of questions, her campaign even going so far as roping off reporters from Clinton during her appearance in New Hampshire on the Fourth of July.
The Clinton campaign also barred a Daily Mail pool reporter from covering Hillary’s events in New Hampshire last month.

Tokens
[h=2]Clinton, Dem Hopefuls Silent on Planned Parenthood Organ Sales Video[/h]Dem field received multiple honors, thousands of dollars from abortion org
TWEET
EMAIL

Deborah Nucatola (screenshot)

BY: Bill McMorris
July 15, 2015 5:00 am

The Democrats vying for the 2016 presidential nomination were silent about a new video showing a top Planned Parenthood doctor outlining plans to sell body parts from aborted babies.
The undercover sting video shot by the non-profit Center for Medical Progress appears to show Dr. Deborah Nucatola, the senior director of medical services at Planned Parenthood Federation of America, talking about reselling body parts of babies subjected to abortions. Nucatola brags about the techniques Planned Parenthood doctors use to preserve valuable body parts as she eats lunch with two actors posing as prospective buyers.
“We’ve been very good at getting heart, lung, liver, because we know that, so I’m not going to crush that part, I’m going to basically crush below, I’m going to crush above, and I’m going to see if I can get it all intact,” she says in an eight-minute video pulled from a nearly three-hour conversation that the group also posted online.
Nucatola said that Planned Parenthood doctors enlist the help of ultrasound to make sure they don’t damage organs as they remove pieces of the baby from the womb.
Planned Parenthood has called state ultrasound bills “cruel” in the past.
“A lot of people want liver,” she says pausing to bite her salad. “And for that reason, most providers will do this case under ultrasound guidance, so they’ll know where they’re putting their forceps.”
The Washington Free Beacon reached out to the campaigns of all five Democrats running for president: former Secretary of State and frontrunner Hillary Clinton, insurgent socialist Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley, former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, and former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee. None responded to questions about whether they condemned the practice of organ harvesting, whether Democrats should distance themselves from Planned Parenthood, or return campaign donations from the group.
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s largest abortion provider, performing around 300,000 abortions per year. It has received nearly $200 million taxpayer dollars since 2012 including $27 million in grants alone in 2015, according to a Washington Free Beacon analysis.
Planned Parenthood has in turn spent major money supporting the Democratic Party, including nearly $18 million in outside spending in 2014 and 2012, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Nearly all of its nearly $6 million in direct contributions since 1990 have gone to Democrats.
Each Democratic candidate enjoys a close relationship with Planned Parenthood and the abortion lobby. Lincoln Chafee, the former governor of Rhode Island, is the only one without a perfect rating from the pro-abortion group NARAL. He has a 90 percent approval score.
Clinton won Planned Parenthood’s Margaret Sanger Award in 2009. She received more than $10,000 from the organization during two Senate runs and failed 2008 primary against President Barack Obama. She opposes limits on late-term abortion. As president, Bill Clinton vetoed a ban on partial birth abortion methods that Nucatola appeared to discuss in the video.
“The overarching mission of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the cause of reproductive freedom that you continue to advance today is as relevant in our world now as it was 100 years ago. So, I thank you,” Clinton said in a release upon winning the award. A campaign spokesman did not return a request for comment.
O’Malley has also been honored by the organization, winning Planned Parenthood Maryland’s Betty Tyler award in 2014. “We are building a stronger future for all of our children and grandchildren. I am honored to receive this recognition from Planned Parenthood Maryland for Maryland’s hard-won progress,” he said in a release.
Martin O’Malley receives award
Sanders received $5,500 from Planned Parenthood between 2012, a steep increase from the $1,500 he received between 2004 and 2006, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.
Chafee received more than $18,000 in 2000 and 2006 when he served in the U.S. Senate, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Webb received no money from Planned Parenthood in his 2006 Senate run, though he still enjoys a perfect pro-abortion rating from NARAL.
Neither O’Malley, Sanders, nor Webb returned a request for comment.
Carly Fiorina, the former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, was the first presidential hopeful to respond to the video, posting a link to her Facebook page.
“I am proudly pro-life. I believe that every human life has potential and that every human life is precious. This latest news is tragic and outrageous. This isn’t about ‘choice.’ It’s about profiting on the death of the unborn while telling women it’s about empowerment,” Fiorina said.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who announced his presidential run in June, launched an investigation into Planned Parenthood operations in his state following the video’s release.
“The systematic harvesting and trafficking of human body parts is shocking and gruesome,” Jindal said in a statement. “This same organization is seeking to open an abortion clinic in New Orleans. I have instructed Louisiana’s Department of Health and Hospitals to conduct an immediate investigation into this alleged evil and illegal activity and to not issue any licenses until this investigation is complete.”
Jindal called on the Democratic field to return campaign donations and to condemn Planned Parenthood.
“Even the most hardened liberal must feel some pang of conscience watching the callousness with which [Nucatola] discusses the dismemberment of defenseless babies. How could anybody, regardless of political party, refuse to condemn such barbarism?” Jindal told the Washington Free Beacon. “I hope those who oppose efforts to encourage a culture of life watch this video.”
Rick Perry, the former governor of Texas, said in a statement that these types of concerns led him to defund Planned Parenthood in his state.
“The video showing a Planned Parenthood employee selling the body parts of aborted children is a disturbing reminder of the organization’s penchant for profiting off the tragedy of a destroyed human life,” he said in a statement. “It is because of stories like this that I signed legislation defunding Planned Parenthood in the state of Texas—to protect human life and the health and safety of Texans.”
The call to defund Planned Parenthood stretched beyond pro-life politicians. A campaign spokesman for George Pataki, the former governor of New York and the only pro-choice candidate in the GOP field, endorsed cutting off taxpayer dollars to the organization.
“The video is abhorrent and Governor Pataki would support ending federal funding for Planned Parenthood,” said David Catalfamo, a spokesman for Pataki, in a statement.
Planned Parenthood defended the practice as “ethical,” referring to the harvested body parts as “tissue.” It claimed to receive “no financial benefit.”
“We help patients who want to donate tissue for scientific research, and we do this just like every other high-quality health care provider does—with full, appropriate consent from patients and under the highest ethical and legal standards,” it said in a release. “In some instances, actual costs, such as the cost to transport tissue to leading research centers, are reimbursed.”
Nucatola alluded to the fact that local clinics stand to gain in the harvesting of organs and other body parts.
“For affiliates at the end of the day, they’re non-profits. They want to break even, and if they do a little bit better than break even and do so in a way that seems reasonable, they’re happy to do that,” she says in the full video.
Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the Susan B. Anthony List, a 501(c)(4) non-profit that supports pro-life candidates, said that Nucatola’s statements mirrored the actions of the abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell, who kept jars of body parts in his Philadelphia clinic. Gosnell was convicted of multiple counts of first-degree murder in 2013 for stabbing babies born alive.
“This barbarity is only a natural outcome for an organization that, according to their own annual reports, destroys more than 300,000 children a year and wounds that many women. Trafficking is the grotesque collateral damage following a gross violation of human life,” she said of the video.
Dannenfelser said enacting safety regulations and signing 20-week abortion bans could cut back on such practices. She said such legislation would put pro-life politicians on offense as the measures have received more than 55 percent support in several polls.
“The best way to end [harvesting] is to protect these distinct and unique human lives from destruction. This is why 15 states have enacted laws to put an end to abortion after five months, when the baby can feel pain,” she said.
Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, who kicked off his 2016 campaign on Monday, is expected to sign a 20-week abortion ban in the coming weeks, while Sens. Lindsay Graham (R., S.C.) and Rand Paul (R., Ky.) have sponsored similar prohibitions on late term abortion in the Senate.

Tokens

Hillary Gives ‘Full-Throated Endorsement’ of Nuclear Deal

TWEET
EMAIL

AP

BY: Alana Goodman
July 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Hillary Clinton threw her support behind the Iranian nuclear deal in a closed-door meeting with congressional Democrats on Tuesday, according to attendees.
Democratic lawmakers told Bloomberg that Clinton embraced the deal during the meeting, and emphasized her work on Iran diplomacy during her time at the State Department.
In public statements on Tuesday, Clinton called the deal an “important step.”
“She said this was the same kind of arms agreement that other presidents have worked on, but much more important because of the tenor of the times, and what’s going on in the region,” Representative Louise Slaughter said, predicting Democrats would have the votes to sustain a presidential veto if it came to that.
Representative Gerry Connolly of Virginia said Clinton had given the deal a “full-throated endorsement.” Facing the cameras, Clinton was measured, saying the agreement would have to be enforced “vigorously” and Iran’s “bad behavior” on human rights must be addressed. […]
She told House Democrats the deal was the fruit of work she began as secretary of state aimed at freezing and rolling back much of Iran’s nuclear program, according to Connolly. “She thinks it’s a very positive development,” he said.
The nuclear agreement, which was announced early on Tuesday, has drawn strong criticism from national security experts and the pro-Israel community, who say it doesn’t dismantle Iran’s nuclear program and will allow it to obtain a bomb after the deal expires in 10 years. It will also provide sanctions relief and bolster the economy in Iran, which is the world’s foremost state sponsor of terrorism.
Business Insider reported on Tuesday that Clinton’s support for the deal would make it easier for Senate Democrats to back the agreement:
Some congressional Democrats are more hawkish on foreign policy matters than Obama, giving hope to Republicans crafting a bipartisan pushback against the landmark agreement. However, Democrats would likely have a harder time bucking both Obama and Clinton, who is their party’s front-runner in the 2016 presidential race.
“It’s EXTREMELY unlikely there will be enough” congressional Democrats willing to cross both party leaders, NBC News’ senior political editor, Mark Murray, wrote on Tuesday.
Clinton’s previous foreign policy hawkishness, especially relative to Obama, also potentially gives her voice weight with skeptical congressional Democrats. Politico’s Michael Crowley recently documented many of Clinton’s past positions casting doubt on Tehran’s intentions.

Tokens
[h=2]Former Clinton Aide Turned CNN Commentator Obsessed With Hillary’s Alcohol Consumption[/h]SHARE
TWEET
EMAIL

Hillary Clinton / AP

BY: Morgan Chalfant
July 14, 2015 11:49 am

Patti Solis Doyle, a longtime Hillary Clinton adviser who served as campaign manager during her failed 2008 presidential bid, joined CNN as a political commentator Tuesday morning and penned an op-ed for the network about the Democratic presidential candidate.
During the piece, Solis Doyle, who has previously described Clinton as a “fun” drinker and a gossip, zeroes in on her experience tossing back beers with the former first lady.
“Having worked for her for more than 17 years, I’ve had a beer (or two) with her and I can tell you it is a hell of a lot of fun,” Solis Doyle brags. She spotlights her affinity for “the ‘which candidate would you rather have a beer with’ game,” though neglects to admit whether she would prefer to imbibe with Clinton or other competing candidates.
Earlier this year during a roundtable for HuffPost Live, the former Clinton aide made a point to emphasize how “fun” Hillary is and how she enjoys gossiping and drinking with her allies.
“She’s a lot of fun,” Solis Doyle alleged. “She likes to hang out and drink and gossip.”
“She hangs out and she laughs and she likes to gossip, like, ‘who are you dating?’” she added.
New York Times reporter Amy Chozick would likely corroborate Solis Doyle’s claims. The journalist, who covers Clinton, told ABC News in a February interview ahead of Clinton’s official campaign launch, “She likes to drink. We were on the campaign trail in 2008 and the press thought she was just taking shots to pander to voters in Pennsylvania.”
“Um, no,” Chozick continued.
Early on in her 2016 presidential campaign, Clinton claimed that she wanted to “drink [her] way across Iowa,” though she was talking about coffee.
Solis Doyle insists she prefers Hillary “the happy wonk warrior” over Hillary the beer drinker.

Tokens

twitter-aside.png

facebook-aside.png

google-aside.png

[h=2]SCOOP: Hillary’s State Dept. Forced The Resignation Of An Ambassador For Using Private E-Mail[/h]
MARCH 5, 2015 By Sean Davis
Although Hillary Clinton and her allies may be claiming that her private e-mail system is no big deal, Hillary’s State Department actually forced the2012 resignation of the U.S. ambassador to Kenya in part for setting up an unsanctioned private e-mail system. According to a 2012 report from the State Department’s inspector general, former U.S. ambassador to Kenya Scott Gration set up a private e-mail system for his office in 2011.
The inspector general’s report offered a scathing assessment of Gration’s information security practices — practices that are eerily similar to those undertaken by Clinton while she served as Secretary of State:
Very soon after the Ambassador’s arrival in May 2011, he broadcast his lack of confidence in the information management staff. Because the information management office could not change the Department’s policy for handling Sensitive But Unclassified material, he assumed charge of the mission’s information management operations. He ordered a commercial Internet connection installed in his embassy office bathroom so he could work there on a laptop not connected to the Department email system. He drafted and distributed a mission policy authorizing himself and other mission personnel to use commercial email for daily communication of official government business. During the inspection, the Ambassador continued to use commercial email for official government business. The Department email system provides automatic security, record-keeping, and backup functions as required. The Ambassador’s requirements for use of commercial email in the office and his flouting of direct instructions to adhere to Department policy have placed the information management staff in a conundrum: balancing the desire to be responsive to their mission leader and the need to adhere to Department regulations and government information security standards. The Ambassador compounded the problem on several occasions by publicly berating members of the staff, attacking them personally, loudly questioning their competence, and threatening career-ending disciplinary actions. These actions have sapped the resources and morale of a busy and understaffed information management staff as it supports the largest embassy in sub-Saharan Africa.
The inspector general’s report specifically noted that Gration violated State Department policy by using a private, unsanctioned e-mail service for official business. In its executive summary listing its key judgments against the U.S. ambassador to Kenya who served under Hillary Clinton, the inspector general stated that Gration’s decision to willfully violate departmental information security policies highlighted Gration’s “reluctance to accept clear-cut U.S. Government decisions.” The report claimed that this reluctance to obey governmental security policies was the former ambassador’s “greatest weakness.”
Criticisms of Gration came from both sides of the political aisle. Liberal commentators took him to task for jeopardizing American security by insisting on the use of a private e-mail system. A 2012 dispatch from The New Republic about Gration’s resignation specifically noted that Gration’s e-mail gambit “put classified information about the U.S.’s operations in East Africa at a higher risk for exposure”:
Over the objections of State Department officials, Gration insisted on doing business on his personal laptop and through his Gmail account, according to the former officer. This put classified information about the U.S.’s operations in East Africa at a higher risk for exposure—consider an incident in June 2011, when hackers in China broke into numerous Gmail accounts belonging to senior U.S. officials. (China, for what it’s worth, has an enormous presence in East Africa.)
In a report filed shortly after his resignation, the Washington Post also recounted Gration’s myriad security violations as U.S. ambassador, noting that Gration had “repeatedly violated diplomatic security protocols at the embassy by using unsecured Internet connections.”
The New York Times wrote that Gration “preferred to use Gmail for official business and set up private offices in his residence — and an embassy bathroom — to work outside the purview of the embassy staff.”
The Associated Press found that Clinton’s private e-mails were “traced back to an Internet service registered to her family’s home in Chappaqua, New York.”
Hillary Clinton and her team have thus far remained quiet about the security and encryption standards employed on her private e-mail server. However, at least one person who e-mailed Clinton using her private address was hacked in 2012 by a pseudonymous hacker known only as Guccifer. That hack was the first time Hillary’s secret private e-mail address was revealed to the public.
Although Clinton claimed on Twitter last evening that she “want the public to see my e-mail,” she is yet to explain why to deliberately took steps for years to hide her e-mail from the public for years.
To date, neither she nor her team have released any e-mails that she sent or received while serving as U.S. Secretary of State.

Tokens
[h=2]Majority of Clinton Bundlers Also High-Dollar Foundation Donors[/h]Campaign’s ‘National Finance Committee’ has given foundation as much as $100 million
TWEET
EMAIL

AP

BY: Lachlan Markay and Brent Scher
July 16, 2015 1:30 pm

The majority of the members of Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton’s National Finance Committee are also massive donors to the Clinton Foundation, according to a Washington Free Beacon analysis.
Of the 123 members of the National Finance Committee that were announced by the campaign on Wednesday, 72 are also listed donors to the Clinton Foundation. Together, they have contributed between $56.7 million and $100.4 million to the foundation.
Most of the contributions to the Clinton Foundation came just as Clinton’s official campaign was ramping up. Fifty-four of the 72 National Finance Committee members that have given money to the foundation made their contributions as recently as 2014.
Each of the “Hillblazers” listed by the campaign has raised at least $100,000 for Clinton thus far, though the campaign chose not to disclose exactly how much each has raised. Some, such as Chicago media mogul Fred Eychaner and investor Susie Tompkins Buell, have also personally hosted fundraisers for Clinton’s campaign.
While this bundler disclosure was voluntary, the campaign was required to file to the Federal Election Commission a list of all the registered lobbyists that have bundled contributions for Clinton, even if they raised less than $100,000.
Among the lobbyists fundraising for Clinton, 22 are either employed by a company that has contributed or have contributed individually to the Clinton Foundation.
Included on the list are five lobbyists from Akin Gump, which has contributed between $10,000 and $25,000 to the Clinton Foundation, and two lobbyists from DLA Piper, which has contributed between $50,000 and $100,000.
One lobbyist from each Cheniere Energy ($250,000 to $500,000), ExxonMobil ($1,000,000 to $5,000,000), Starbucks ($50,000 to $100,000), Corning Incorporated ($100,000 to $250,000), and the Edison Electric Institute ($1,000 to $5,000) is listed as a fundraiser for the Clinton campaign.
The Clinton Foundation received a total between $106,000 and $240,000 from the 11 lobbyist fundraisers that have made individual contributions.
According Ken Boehm, chairman of the National Legal and Policy Center, an ethics watchdog group, the overlap underscores the political nature of the foundation’s work.
“With each additional story on the Clinton Foundation, it becomes clearer that it was used by the Clintons as both a part of their political machine as well as part of the lucrative speaking fee arrangements that enriched the couple personally,” Boehm said in an email.
The sizable overlap between Clinton’s campaign bundlers and donors to her family’s foundation could also fuel the perception that the foundation has served as a vehicle for the former secretary of state’s political ambitions.
That allegation was spelled out in detail in Hoover Institution fellow Peter Schweizer’s recent book Clinton Cash, which investigated the Clinton-backed policies that benefitted foundation donors.
“Perhaps the most important function of the foundation is to bolster Bill and Hillary’s reputations as global humanitarians by bringing relief and care to people all over the world,” Schweizer wrote.
“This reputation not only flatters the ex-president’s ego and benefits Hillary’s political career, but it also has real value both in terms of global influence and financial reward.”
Clinton officially resigned from the foundation in April after the launch of her presidential campaign. But critics say its work—and the funds that support it—benefits her political image.
“The foundation was heavily staffed with political operatives and the fund raising efforts overlapped heavily with the Clinton donor base,” Boehm noted. “It sure looks like the foundation provided a means for the Clintons to continue to mesh their political and fundraising teams.”
Fundraising operations for Clinton’s political and philanthropic efforts in particular have overlapped in major ways that stirred controversy ahead of her presidential run.
Dennis Cheng, the national finance director for Clinton’s failed 2008 presidential campaign, moved to the Clinton Foundation in 2013 after a stint as a top Clinton gatekeeper at the State Department.
As the foundation’s top fundraising officer, Cheng helped build the large and active donor network that includes many prominent 2008 Clinton supporters, and, now, top fundraisers for her second presidential bid.
Cheng has since moved back to her political operation, departing the foundation in February to once again serve as her campaign’s finance director.
“Anyone can look at a list of donors and determine who has done what. That’s easy. What Dennis knows is not going to be on any list,” one Clinton fundraisertold BuzzFeed in March. “Who lent their plane to Bill Clinton to go to Africa? Who helped them get a singer to perform at a Clinton Foundation gala?”
The Foundation for Government Accountability and Civic Trust (FACT) in February filed a Freedom of Information Act request for documents related to Cheng’s work at State and his communications with the foundation.
“He’s a very interesting actor in the relationship, with his role at the Department of State and then raising money from foreign leaders and countries at the foundation,” said FACT president Matthew Whitaker, a former U.S. Attorney, in February.
Neither the foundation nor Clinton’s presidential campaign returned requests for comment.

- See more at: http://freebeacon.com/politics/majo...ollar-foundation-donors/#sthash.zW2XcogK.dpuf

Tokens
[h=1]HILLARY CLINTON’S POLL NUMBERS COLLAPSE[/h]

474390234-640x480-640x480.jpg

by JOHN NOLTE16 Jul 20152346

[h=2]Despite the best efforts of CNN and Brianna Keiler to give Hillary Clinton a series of softball questions that would allow the Democrat presidential frontrunner to clean up all her scandals and well-publicized ethical lapses, in the latest Associated Press poll, her favorability numbers have actually decreased since their last poll in April.[/h]Clinton’s biggest problem is that just 3-in-10 voters see her as honest.
The mega-scandal around Clinton’s decision to wipe her email server clean after Nixon-ing thousands of emails is dwarfed only by the Clinton Family Foundation’s serial-ethical lapses and apparent corruption revealed by our own Peter Schweizer in Clinton Cash.
While the media has done its best to distract from the Clinton scandals with a month-long campaign of Todd Akin-ing Donald Trump, a public that now has access to the truth outside the media’s propaganda bubble through New Media hasn’t been distracted enough to forget the scandals, or that Clinton has yet to explain them to the satisfaction of anyone with any kind of moral compass.
The honesty issue is trickling down into other crucially important areas for Clinton.
Clinton’s favorability rating is a disastrous 39%, compared to 49% who view her unfavorably. That’s a full 8% increase in Hillary’s unfavorable rating since April.
Among Democrats, Hillary’s favorability dropped 11-points, although it is still over 70%.
A mere 40% of those polled said Clinton is compassionate; a mere 30% described her as honest.
Even on issues of leadership, Clinton slipped. Those who see her as inspiring slipped from 44% to just 37%. This is especially surprising given the historic nature of her candidacy. Other women have run for president, but Hillary is the first with a serious shot at winning.
On the issue of decisiveness, Clinton slipped from 56% to 47%.
Clinton also isn’t likable. On the public stage she is brittle, cold, and acts like a robot dealing with too much data. Although its wasn’t asked, she is almost certainly upside-down on the all-important question of whether or not you’d want to have a beer with her.
If Vice President Joe Biden stays out of the race, it will only be due to the $47 million Clinton has raised for the primary election. Everything else has to be telling him to jump in.

Tokens
Corrupt Organization Hires Former Clinton Aide’s Consulting Firm
BY: Andrew Stiles

July 16, 2015 12:04 pm

TWEET
EMAIL
Bill Clinton chums it up with disgraced FIFA president Sepp Blatter. (AP)Bill Clinton chums it up with disgraced FIFA president Sepp Blatter. (AP)
Corrupt soccer conglomerate FIFA has retained the consulting firm founded by former Clinton aide Doug Band after several FIFA officials were indicted as part of a U.S. Justice Department investigation, the BBC reports:

The BBC has learnt New York-based Teneo Holdings has been retained in the wake of the criminal investigation launched into football’s world governing body by the US Department of Justice in May.

The company’s president is Doug Band, who served as a director on the US 2022 World Cup bid committee.

Band, together with Fifa executive committee member Sunil Gulati and others, made the final World Cup bid presentation to high-ranking officials in Zurich in 2010. He served as a close adviser to President Bill Clinton during his years in the White House.

Band continued to work for Clinton after leaving the White House, and helped the former president found the Clinton Foundation, a controversial institution that, like FIFA, has faced allegations of corruption. Band founded Teneo Holdings in 2011, and the firm hired Bill Clinton as a paid consultant. Hillary Clinton minder Huma Abedin was granted special clearance from the State Department to do consulting work for Teneo while also serving as an aide to then-Secretary of State Clinton. The department’s inspector general is currently investigating the arrangement, which was not properly disclosed.

- See more at: http://freebeacon.com/blog/corrupt-...n-aides-consulting-firm/#sthash.tP5DaldA.dpuf

Tokens
[h=2]Planned Parenthood Pours Cash to Clinton[/h]Received 20 times the rest of the field combined
TWEET
EMAIL

Hillary Clinton / AP

BY: Bill McMorris
July 17, 2015 4:59 am

Hillary Clinton is the presidential candidate of choice for Planned Parenthood employees, according to campaign financial records released Wednesday.
The former secretary of state collected nearly $10,000 from nine individuals who work for the country’s largest abortion provider, including from several high ranking executives at the billion-dollar operation. The first quarter fundraising total nearly matches the amount Clinton received over the course of her previous three political runs.
She received far more from Planned Parenthood employees than her Democratic rivals, the former Maryland governor Martin O’Malley, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I., VT), the former Rhode Island governor Lincoln Chafee, and the former Virginia senator Jim Webb. Webb, O’Malley, and Sanders have perfect pro-abortion voting records, while Chafee scored a 90, according to NARAL rankings. But Clinton raised 20 times as much money from Planned Parenthood employees. Sanders was the only other candidate to receive money from the abortion provider, garnering two donations totaling $500.
Vicki Cowart, the CEO of Planned Parenthood Rocky Mountains, Melissa Flournoy, the state director of Louisiana Planned Parenthood, and Catherine Valentine, general counsel for the San Jose-based Planned Parenthood Mar Monte, all contributed the primary maximum of $2,700 to Clinton’s campaign. Clinton led the entire presidential field with more than $46 million in total fundraising.
The FEC disclosures were released one day after video emerged of a top doctor from Planned Parenthood discussing the harvesting of organs from aborted babies. The non-profit Center for Medical Progress released footage of a nearly three-hour lunch two activists had with Dr. Deborah Nucatola, who ate salad and sipped wine during the conversation.
The organization’s president, Cecile Richards, apologized on Thursday for Nucatola’s tone while defending the practice.
Nearly every Republican candidate, including the pro-choice former New York governor George Pataki, condemned the video and Planned Parenthood following the release. No Democratic candidate for president has publicly addressed the controversy.
Planned Parenthood has supported the Democratic party in the past. It poured $18 million into outside spending groups in 2014 and 2012, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Most of its nearly $6 million in direct contributions since 1990 have gone to Democrats. Every Democratic candidate except for Webb has benefitted from this cash influx at the federal level. Sanders and Chafee have received nearly $25,000 combined over the course of their careers.
The Washington Free Beacon reached out to the Clinton campaign asking whether the cash-rich frontrunner planned on returning Planned Parenthood donations, as she did contributions from the pornographer Larry Flynt. A spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

Tokens
[h=1]Hillary is outdone in first major Iowa test as Bernie Sanders calls for a 'revolution' and Martin O'Malley has some Clinton partisans on their feet – and she talks mostly about HERSELF[/h]
  • In the Democrats' first 'cattle call' event of 2015, all five presidential candidates appeared on the same stage
  • Clinton spoke of herself while two of her more energetic rivals fed red meat to the lions
  • Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders trumpeted a populist brand of liberalism meant to appeal to young fans of free college and income redistribution
  • Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley's voice trembled as he shushed Hillary's partisans with a lengthy list of liberal accomplishments
  • Clinton's best lines, about Donald Trump's hair and global warming deniers, couldn't match the energy brought by her two main rivals
By DAVID MARTOSKO, US POLITICAL EDITOR FOR DAILYMAIL.COM IN CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA
PUBLISHED: 19:36 EST, 17 July 2015 | UPDATED: 00:38 EST, 18 July 2015

445shares
59View comments​

Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders and former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley, two emotionally potent politicians determined to run far to the left of former secretary of state Hillary Clinton, outshined her Friday night during the Democratic presidential field's first big 'cattle-call' event.
Following Clinton, who spoke in sharp cadence about herself and her family's story, the two men wowed a crowd of more than 1,300 with powerful appeals to progressives.
Clinton entered the presidential race as the presumptive Democratic nominee, but she has at least two formidable foes who exceeded her ovations and grew their following on Friday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Friday night marked a first for Democrats in the 2016 race for the presidency: a 'cattle call' audition where every declared candidate spoke to a large audience in an early primary state on the same night.
2AA3D56300000578-3166006-image-a-1_1437193197432.jpg

+15

UNDERWHELMING: Hillary Clinton was bested by two more fiery politicians on Friday night in Iowa who riled up the crowd while she talked about herself and her family history

2AA3CB8600000578-3166006-image-a-2_1437193277106.jpg

+15

FIRE AND BRIMSTONE: Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders put out the most pure wattage, booming his far-left priorities to an eager audience who cheered and stomped

2AA3F48300000578-3166006-image-a-4_1437193487062.jpg

+15

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley emerged as the night's biggest surprise, establishing himself as a liberal's liberal and a candidate who can boast achievements to ease his march to Hillary's left

2AA36FA800000578-3166006-image-a-41_1437183771100.jpg

+15

CLASH OF THE DEMOCRATS: Chaos ensued in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on Friday as supporters of Hillary Clinton (right) crashed through a line of Martin O'Malley backers, each group with its own signs and chants

It's something Republicans have done nearly a dozen times already. But with Clinton expecting a coronation instead of a contest, the Dems have been slow to build a field of challengers.
Now that there are five, Iowa's Democratic Party used its annual 'Hall of Fame' dinner to host on-stage speeches from the whole field.
None of the five politicians on the program for the Iowa Democratic Party's annual Hall of Fame dinner threw any intramural punches; the candidates returned to their tables in front of the stage after speaking, ensuring any insults would be delivered face-to-face.
The trio of clear front-runners hammered Republicans aplenty, but Hillary couldn't match the red-meat liberalism of O'Malley and Sanders.
Her main saving grace was that she spoke before them both – thanks to the coincidence of alphabetical order.
Clinton brought one-liners. Of Republican leader Donald Trump, she cracked: 'Finally! A candidate whose hair gets more attention than mine!'
She blasted the billionaire's rhetoric on violent crimes committed by illegal border-crossers as 'hate that he is spewing toward immigrants and their families.'
'It really is shameful,' she said.
And jabbing the GOP for its collective doubts about global warming, she noted how some Republicans have shrugged off the issue by noting that they're not scientists.
'I'm not a scientist either,'snarked Clinton. 'I'm just a grandmother with two eyeballs and a brain.'
[h=2]RELATED ARTICLES[/h]

[h=2]SHARE THIS ARTICLE[/h]Share
445 shares

Bernie Sanders officially kicks off presidential campaign

video-undefined-2918F3A000000578-782_638x358.jpg

2AA351EB00000578-3166006-image-m-32_1437182162038.jpg

+15

IT'S ON: Hillary Clinton faced new competition on a public stage as she spoke alongside four challengers for the Democratic presidential nomination. Shown are Martin O'Mallley (left) and Lincoln Chafee (right)

2AA355AF00000578-3166006-image-m-31_1437182128229.jpg

+15

CHALLENGERS: Jim Webb (left) is a recent but lackluster entrant in the 2016 race, while Bernie Sanders (right) has given Clinton the most heartburn so far and outshone her on Friday

She also mocked the GOP's economic policy as a 1980s-style 'trickle-down' scheme.
'Trickle-down economics has to be one of the worst ideas of the 1980sm,' Clinton boomed.
'It is right up there with New Coke, shoulder pads and big hair. I lived through it and there are photographs, and we're not going back to that.'
Earlier in the day, speaking before a crowd of her own organizers, she quipped that 'we've been trickled on enough.'
But most of her speech's power on Friday came in parables about herself.
She reminded the audience of her mother's demoralizing poverty and the power of personal strength. She waxed about the need to leave her granddaughter Charlotte with a sustainable America.
And she boasted that she has spent her life 'fighting for women [and] children.'
When her supporters had stopped chanting 'HIL-LA-RY' – each candidate controlled the tables in one part of the cavernous banquet hall – the real show began.
Martin O'Malley, the former Baltimore Mayor and Maryland's chief executive, brought a mix of passion and pathos that Clinton appeared to have left on her private jet.
His introduction was met with a standing ovation from his own section, mostly in the back of the hall. By the time he was finished, many tables that had stood for Clinton were on their feet for him.
A bullhorn-blasting organizer and a gaggle of shouting young partisans delivered the point home as Democrats left for the night, shouting slogans about his progressive accomplishments.
At one point 'O-MAL-LEY! O-MAL-LEY!' morphed into 'GO-AWAY HIL-LA-RY!'
Inside, the former governor had lobbed the evening's first earnest bombs at Clinton from her left, ticking off a list of progressive litmus tests he had passed.
On the list were drug treatment programs established, the state's minimum wage hiked, resounding entrepreneurship statistics, an assault weapons ban, nation-leading public schools, the adoption of a DREAM Act law that predated President Obama's own executive actions preventing deportations for millions, a four-year college tuition freeze, and 'drivers licenses for new American immigrants.'
2AA3798C00000578-3166006-image-a-5_1437193567970.jpg

+15

SLAP MAGNET: DOnald Trump, shown at a Republican Party of Arkansas event Friday night, attracted more barbs in the Democrats' speeches than anyone else

2AA36FA000000578-3166006-image-a-42_1437183777048.jpg

+15

'OHHHHHHHH-MALLEY!' The former Maryland governor had supporters out in force on the streets of Cedar Rapids on July 17

By the time he demanded a $15.00/hour minimum wage from coast to coast, people were listening.
This was a different O'Malley, a man confident of his bona fides and unintimidated by the Clinton juggernaut.
Even his fiery critique of Trump and 'his racist, hate-filled comments,' although not new, rang as more authentic.
O'Malley mocked the Republican presidential field for being divided on whether or not Trump's charges about 'rapists' and 'murderers' coming north from Mexico were correct.
'Divided?' he asked. 'As in, "not sure he's wrong?"'
'If Donald Trump wants to run on a platform of demonizing immigrants, he should go back to the 1840s and run for the nomination of the Know-Nothing Party.'
Sanders, too, brought down the house in a way that the more canned, rehearsed, polished, and telepromptered Clinton couldn't manage.
'Please don't think small. Think big!' he urged a crowd, hinting that Clinton's brand of Democratic politics should be seen as too much of a margin-trimming exercise.
'Given the reality of economics and politics in America today,' Sanders began, 'no president, not the best, can bring about the changes we need in this country unless there is a political revolution.'
Sanders, 73, is known for a nakedly populist message rooted in 1960s socialism: He has labeled himself a 'democratic socialist' and is only running for the Democrats' nomination out of convenience.
'The powers that be in Washington,' he barked, 'the billionaire cliques, the Koch brothers, the lobbyists, the corporate interests, are so powerful that nothing will get done unless millions of people stand up and loudly proclaim "Enough is enough! This country belongs to all of us and not a handful of billionaires".'
'Preach!' yelled one man at a table near the back.
2AA3E76E00000578-3166006-image-a-21_1437193938546.jpg

+15

POPULAR POPULIST: Bernie Sanders posed for selfies with fans as the evening began

2AA3AA3E00000578-3166006-image-a-8_1437193604996.jpg

+15

FOUR YEARS: Martin O'Malley made his pitch for a full White House term, speaking after Clinton and making the room forget about her

'Income inequality is the great moral issue of our time,' said Sanders, the aging Vermont senator who has never shied away from class-warfare rhetoric.
'There is something profoundly wrong with the top one-tenth of one per cent own almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 per cent. ... Enough is enough. That has got to end, and together we will end it.'
At times shouting so loud that he spat, Sanders forcefully demanded a 'Medicare for all single-payer program' that would declare medical care a human right in the United States.
A minimum wage increase to an unspecified 'living wage' was also on his menu, along with a massive government jobs program to rebuild crumbling U.S. bridges, highways, dams and ports.
'There is more than enough work to do. Let's rebuild our infrastructure!' he yelled.
Sanders pledged two things, while saying he would make few promises on the campaign trail.
He would nominate only Supreme Court justices who agreed to strike down a ruling that opened the floodgates of money into American politics, he said.
'"Citizens United" must be overturned,' Sanders boomed, a withered fist shaking.
And he promised to youthful hoots and hollers that he would 'make certain that every public college and university in America is tuition-free.'
To drive the point home, he announced that he had invited 'seven or eight' recent college graduates to sit at his table, each with massive student loan balances hanging over their heads – 'more than $1 million' in all.
Two other hopefuls, former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee and former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb, bookended the evening with paler versions of what came in between.
2AA3B58900000578-3166006-image-a-6_1437193579885.jpg

+15

NOT ENOUGH: The campaign begins Saturday for Clinton, who has ground to reclaim after she took the bronze on Friday

2AA36FA400000578-3166006-image-a-44_1437183790565.jpg

+15

BOLD: Clinton's crowd marched from her pep rally to the Iowa Democratic Party's annual banquet

Chafee, a mild-mannered and short-winded speaker, ironically drew first blood of a polite sort, pointing out that he voted against a Senate resolution authorizing President George W. Bush's war in Iraq.
Left unsaid was that Clinton voted for it when she was a senator from New York.
Praising the Obama administration's nuclear bargain with Iran, Chafee bashed 'bellicose Republicans' for rattling their sabers.
'We need to reject once and for all the belligerent advocates of conflict,' he said. 'Avoiding war is worth every bit of our energy.'
Later, Webb took the opposite tack, saying he wouldn't have inked the deal with Tehran that Obama announced on Tuesday.
'I am still looking with some concern, some great concern,' he said.
'I would not as president sign any executive agreement establishing a long-term relationship with Iran if it in any way tips the balance of power ... and particularly if it accepts Iran's acquisition of nuclear weapons.'
Webb appeared to be a non-factor, receiving his only genuine cheers when he defended labor unions.
'Organized labor is not the enemy,' Webb said, his calm and analytic tone a tremendous come-down from Sanders' human loudspeaker.
But fewer people heard him: a line of dinner guests streamed to the exits after Sanders had finished.
Webb did draw chuckles by noting that 'I'm the only person ever elected to statewide office with a union card, two Purple Hearts and three tattoos.'
And he expressed great sympathy for immigrants, noting that his third wife escaped Vietnam with her entire extended family when communists rose to power.
But ultimately, he ended his speech before the allotted 15 minutes were up – and spun the remaining 1 minute and 20 seconds as a virtue.
Clinton, O'Malley and Sanders all ignored the red light that signaled they should sit down.
The Republican Party has a far deeper bench for 2016 than the Democrats, fielding three basketball teams' worth of would-be presidents, and it's unclear who will emerge from the scrum next year.
2AA3716500000578-3166006-image-a-40_1437183708420.jpg

+15

JUGGERNAUT: Hillary Clinton's poll numbers put her far and away ahead of every other Democrat who wants to win the White House, but that could change quickly – at least in Iowa

But the Democrats began the night in America's first primary caucus state with a prayer that it won't much matter.
Ako Abdul-Samad, a Muslim member of the state legislature, delivered an invocation that included a request for the almighty – to show Iowans that Republicans 'don't know what they're talking about.'
The crowd chuckled in mid-prayer.
Democratic Rep. Dave Loebsack, speaking at the top of the program, proclaimed: 'I think this is the official kickoff to the Iowa Caucuses.'
Opinion polls have been kind to Clinton. A polling average calculated by Real Clear Politics shows her with more than a 40-point lead over Sanders, her nearest rival. And she has never come close to trailing anyone else in the Democratic field.
Sanders, though, has so far made the biggest splash of any anti-Hillary hopeful in the race, drawing thousands of progressive voters at a time.
Hillary's 'kick off rally' in Cedar Rapids on Friday afternoon drew a loosely-packed crowd of young campaign volunteers wearing t-shirts, waving signs and chanting slogans.
2AA3B35500000578-3166006-image-m-24_1437194080625.jpg

+15

ALSO-RAN: Former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee impressed no one as he calmly asked Iowa Democrats to support him in next year's statewide caucuses

2AA3D01200000578-3166006-image-a-23_1437194076640.jpg

+15

ALSO ALSO-RAN: Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb dissed President Barack Obama's Iran nuclear deal and lost some of the audience before he even began

Some other voters who weren't attached to Clinton's Iowa machine, though, said they came for the free pizza.
There was also beer and wine available, for a price. Reporters were told to find a water fountain, and kept away from the pizza by steel barriers.
Meanwhile O'Malley's volunteers gathered on street corners waving signs and shouting for cars to honk. As Clinton's supporters walked from her rally to the evening venue, the two crowds clashed.
Shouting matches ensued. Hoots and hollers were heard. Sloganeering devolved into cacophony.
None of Friday's speakers mentioned any of the others by name, likely disappointing some Democrats streaming into the Cedar Rapids Convention Center who said they came to see the candidates challenge each other.
'Especially Hillary,' said Ed from Waterloo, Iowa, who asked DailyMail.com not to publish his last name. 'I really want some of these guys to test her.'
'The last thing we need is a primary that's over before it starts, and then we find out we picked the wrong horse to ride.'
Another attendee, an elderly woman, was overheard talking to a male companion in the long line of ticket-holders leading to metal detectors and Secret Service screening.
'Well, we're gonna see 'em all, ain't we?' she said.
'Maybe there'll be some blood on the floor. We sure need to see some punches flying if we're going to beat the hell out of Jeb Bush.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ley-Clinton-partisans-feet.html#ixzz3gFbgphxn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Tokens
[h=2]Once Again, Elizabeth Warren Attacks Citigroup (Hillary Clinton’s Largest Source of Campaign Donations)[/h]Sanders-Warren 2016?
July 17, 2015 4:06 pm

TWEET
EMAIL

AP

Elizabeth Warren HATES Citigroup. Hillary Clinton is a big fan. Employees of the Wall Street bank are the single largest source of campaign donations to Hillary Clinton over the course of her political career.

Warren blasted Citibank (the commercial banking arm of Citigroup Inc.) and other Wall Street firms (and Hillary Clinton, by extension) in her speech to the left-wing Netroots Nations conference in Phoenix. The Los Angeles Times reports:
Sen. Elizabeth Warren did not mention Hillary Clinton by name, but the Massachusetts Democrat had some strong advice for her: Don’t get to close to Citibank.
“I think anyone running for that job, anyone who wants the power to make every key economic appointment and nomination across the federal government,” Warren said “should say loud and clear that they agree: We don’t run this country for Wall Street and mega corporations. We run it for people.” …
Warren also recited a litany of former Citibank officials who hold key spots in the Obama Administration and a reminder of the group’s sway in inserting a provision to loosen Dodd-Frank financial regulations inserted into last year’s spending bill.
“Wall Street insiders have enough influence in Washington already without locking up one powerful job after another in the Executive Branch of our government,” she said. “Sure, private sector experience can be valuable—no one ever said otherwise—but there is a point at which the revolving door compromises public interest. And we are way beyond that point.”
Hillary Clinton doesn’t seem to be paying attention, given the huge sums of money she’s already raised from Wall Street. In the second quarter of 2015, Citigroup employees contributed $24,875 to Clinton’s campaign. Principled liberal Bernie Sanders, on the other hand, is an enemy of Wall Street, just like Warren.
Bill Clinton’s former Treasury Secretary, Robert Rubin, worked as a senior counselor for Citigroup after leaving the White House, and resigned in January 2009 in the midst of the financial crisis, months after the bank received a $476 billion bailout from the U.S. government.

Tokens
[h=2]Hillary Clinton Sides With Big Oil[/h]Hill, Baby, Hill!
July 17, 2015 1:44 pm

TWEET
EMAIL

AP

Conservative Democrat Hillary Clinton was heckled by environmentalists Thursday during a New Hampshire town hall event, and for good reason. The Los Angeles Times reports:
[T]he gathering grew contentious when a woman representing an environmental advocacy group pressed Clinton on whether she would support banning fossil fuel extraction on public lands, including the use of hydraulic fracturing, the controversial natural gas drilling technique commonly known as fracking.
Clinton had said in response to an initial yes-or-no question that she could not commit to such a ban until alternative sources of fuel were in place.
“That may not be a satisfactory answer to you, but I have to take the responsible [approach],” she said. “We still have to run the economy. We still have to turn on the lights.”
Principled liberals will find this unacceptable, because it is. But what more did you expect from a candidate whose biggest campaign bundlers are oil lobbyists? From the Huffington Post:
Nearly all of the lobbyists bundling contributions for Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s campaign have at one time or another worked for the fossil fuel industry.
A list of 40 registered lobbyists that the Clinton camp disclosed to the Federal Election Commission on Wednesday revealed a number of Democratic Party lobbyists who have worked against regulations to curb climate change, advocated for offshore drilling, or sought government approval for natural gas exports…
Scott Parven and Brian Pomper, lobbyists at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, have been registered to lobby for the Southern California-based oil giant Chevron since 2006, with contracts totaling more than $3 million. The two bundled Clinton contributions of $24,700 and $29,700, respectively. They have helped Chevron over the years resist efforts to eliminate oil and gas tax breaks and to impose regulations to reduce carbon emissions.
Hillary Clinton’s campaign has also accepted a lot of money from Wall Street banks, the sworn enemies of principled liberals like Bernie Sanders.

Tokens
[h=2]ANALYSIS: Wall Street Likes Hillary Clinton More Than Bernie Sanders[/h]BY: Andrew Stiles
July 17, 2015 11:04 am

TWEET
EMAIL

$

Wall Street bankers prefer Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders by a wide margin, a Free Beaconanalysis has found. In the second quarter of 2015, here’s how much money each candidate reported receiving from employees of Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JPMorgan, Citigroup, Blackstone, and individuals listing their employer as “hedge fund.”
[h=3]Goldman Sachs*[/h]
  • Hillary Clinton: $46,550 (20 donors)
  • Bernie Sanders: $0 (n/a)
[h=3]Morgan Stanley*[/h]
  • Hillary Clinton: $88,000 (70 donors)
  • Bernie Sanders: $531.53 (two donors)
[h=3]JPMorgan*[/h]
  • Hillary Clinton: $59,000 (29 donors)
[h=3]Citigroup*[/h]
  • Hillary Clinton: $24,875 (10 donors)
  • Bernie Sanders: $720 (three donors)
[h=3]Blackstone[/h]
  • Hillary Clinton: $43,200 (16 donors)
[h=3]“Hedge fund”[/h]
  • Hillary Clinton: $24,300 (9 donors)
(* = top Hillary Clinton donor over her political career)
Not surprisingly, Bernie Sanders takes the principled liberal position in support of breaking up big banks, whereas Hillary Clinton does not. In other news, Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein, a close personal friend of Hillary Clinton’s and a longtime Democratic megadonor, recently became a billionaire.

Tokens
[h=2]Clinton’s Man in Morocco[/h]Clinton campaign fails to disclose bundler actively lobbying for Morocco
TWEET
EMAIL

AP

BY: Brent Scher
July 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign failed to list a registered lobbyist for Morocco in its legally required disclosure of all bundled fundraising done by lobbyists, according to aWashington Free Beacon analysis.
Edward Gabriel, who was named U.S. Ambassador to Morocco by former President Bill Clinton in 1997, now runs the Gabriel Company, a Washington, D.C., lobbying firm that has had the government of Morocco as a client since 2002 and has been paid more than $3.7 million by the nation since that point.
Though Gabriel appeared on a list posted to the Clinton campaign website on Wednesday afternoon of all the bundlers that have raised over $100,000, his name is absent from documents filed to the Federal Election Commission listing all the other registered lobbyists that have been fundraising for the campaign.
All contributions bundled by registered lobbyists must be disclosed to the FEC each quarter.
A search conducted on Friday afternoon using the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) database found that the Gabriel Company is still an active registrant. Edward Gabriel signed its most recently filed continuation. FARA requires all groups hired to lobby on behalf of a foreign government to register with the Justice Department.

Gabriel was one of the many listed members of Clinton’s National Finance Committee that had raised over $100,000 for the campaign. He also contributed to the Clinton Foundation, to which he has contributed as recently as 2014 and given between $100,001 and $250,000.
Although the fact that Gabriel has been fundraising for the campaign was disclosed through her campaign website provided list, significantly less information is made available on that list than would be made available through the FEC filing.
The list of “Hillblazers,” as the campaign has dubbed them, only provides a name and a city of residence without disclosing any information about how much each has raised. Each entry on the FEC filing of lobbyist bundlers, however, is required to include name, address, employer, and the exact amount that has been raised.
Gabriel is not Clinton’s only bundler that is registered to lobby for foreign governments.
It was reported on Thursday by Buzzfeed’s Andrew Kaczynski that two of Clinton’s listed bundlers, Matthew Bernstein and John Merrigan of DLA Piper, are also both registered to lobby for foreign governments. Bernstein has lobbied for the United Arab Emirates and the German State of Rheinland-Pfalz, while Merrigan is registered to lobby for the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.
Both Bernstein and Merrigan are listed on Clinton’s official FEC disclosure.
The Clinton-Gabriel relationship extends to before he was named ambassador in 1997. Gabriel was adonor to Bill Clinton’s 1996 presidential campaign and maxed out his contributions to Hillary Clinton’s failed presidential campaign in 2008.
Money from Morocco has flowed toward the Clintons as well. On the day that Clinton announced her current presidential campaign, it was reported that the Clinton Foundation would be paid at least $1 million to hold a May event in Marrakech.
The event was paid for by OCP, the state-owned energy company that is despised by many in Morocco.
“Hillary Clinton sold her soul when they accepted that money,” a former miner for the company toldPolitico‘s Ken Vogel in Morocco. “We are concerned that if Hillary Clinton wins the presidency of the United States of America, she will take the side of Moroccans even more.”
The Clinton campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Tokens
[h=2]Clintons Facilitated Donor’s Haiti Project That Defrauded U.S. Out of Millions[/h]Hillary Clinton Donor Claudio Osorio’s InnoVida bilked investors out of $40 million
TWEET
EMAIL

Claudio Osorio and Bill Clinton (screenshot of CNBC program American Greed)

BY: Alana Goodman
July 17, 2015 2:24 pm

A federal agency rushed to approve funding for a Clinton donor’s sham Haiti recovery project that ended up defrauding the U.S. government out of millions, according to court transcripts and internal government documents obtained by the Washington Free Beacon.
Miami businessman Claudio Osorio, who is currently serving 12 years in federal prison on fraud charges, leveraged his relationship with Bill and Hillary Clinton to help his company InnoVida obtain a $10 million loan from the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) for a Haiti housing project in 2010.
OPIC is an independent government agency that submits its annual budget requests through the State Department and works closely with the agency.
Bill Clinton helped arrange for a high-powered Florida law firm to represent Osorio during loan negotiations with OPIC, according to court testimony. An internal OPIC memo said Hillary Clinton was prepared to marshal State Department resources to assist with the donor’s project.
InnoVida was supposed to use the funding to build houses in Haiti after the earthquake, but it defaulted on the loan and the homes were never built.
After InnoVida went bankrupt in 2011, a court-appointed investigator said it appeared that over $30 million of its funds had been diverted to foreign bank accounts and were not retrievable.
Osorio was later accused of using the company to run a Ponzi-like scheme, bilking government and private investors out of a collective $40 million and using their money to fund his lavish lifestyle—making payments on his Miami Beach mansion, buying a Maserati and maintaining his Colorado ski chalet.
He pleaded guilty to wire fraud and money laundering in 2013.
Much of the media coverage of InnoVida has focused on Jeb Bush’s involvement as a consultant and board member. But previously unreported government documents and testimony from the 2013 fraud trial of InnoVida’s chief financial officer reveal that Osorio’s relationship with the Clintons played a central role in InnoVida’s efforts to obtain OPIC funding for the house-building scam.
The OPIC official who helped approve the InnoVida loan wrote in a 2010 internal memo that “secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, has made available State Department resources to assist with logistical arrangements” for the project and “Former president Bill Clinton is personally in contact with the company [InnoVida] to organize its logistical and support needs.”
The memo added that the Clinton Global Initiative had agreed to purchase “6500 homes in Haiti from InnoVida within the next year.”
During the loan process, Osorio repeatedly emphasized his connections to the Clintons during conversations with OPIC officials, boasting about taking a trip to Haiti with the former president after the earthquake and telling an OPIC manager that he had a direct line to Hillary Clinton.
He also brought members of the Clintons’ inner circle on board with the project. InnoVida brought on Jonathan Mantz, Hillary Clinton’s 2008 finance director and currently the senior financial adviser at the Clinton-supporting Priorities USA PAC, to lobby OPIC for the loan. The company’s board included Chris Korge, a top Clinton moneyman who has raised millions for them, and close ally Gen. Wesley Clark.
InnoVida also retained top Florida law firm Shutts & Bowen to help negotiate the loan agreement with OPIC.
An attorney at Shutts & Bowen testified that Bill Clinton asked the firm to represent InnoVida in the negotiations. One of the Clintons’ top bundlers, Alexander Heckler, was a partner at the law group.
A spokesperson for Hillary Clinton did not respond to request for comment.
OPIC officials denied in court testimony that they approved the loan under political pressure. They also said they never tried to verify Osorio’s claims that the Clintons were assisting him with the Haiti project, even after OPIC used this information to justify the loan approval and began dispensing millions of dollars to his company.
InnoVida’s loan request was approved by OPIC after just two weeks. The process typically takes months or years, agency officials testified. The loan was also approved before InnoVida had turned over its financial statements.
In a rare move, OPIC waived a requirement that the company provide an independently audited financial report up-front, even though Osorio had previously run a company that was sued for manipulating its stock prices.
The National Legal and Policy Center, a government watchdog group that has spent months investigating the documents related to this case, told the Free Beacon that it was “a textbook example of a corrupt pay-to-play scheme” and called for an investigation of OPIC.
“This case represents a new low in the misuse of public funds by Clinton allies,” said NLPC chairman Ken Boehm. “There must be an investigation into why this Clinton donor was using a law firm recommended by Bill Clinton and one of Hillary Clinton’s top fund raisers to improperly obtain millions from the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.”
A spokesperson for OPIC did not respond to request for comment.
Osorio’s relationship with the Clintons dates back to at least 2007. That fall, Osorio hosted a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign at his Star Island mansion in Miami Beach. Bill Clinton gave a speech at the event and “explain[ed] to an audience that Osorio planned to build 10,000 houses at $5,000 apiece for impoverished Haitians,” according to an NPR report.
Osorio contributed between $10,000 and $25,000 to the Clinton Foundation in 2009. His company InnoVida followed up with another $10,000 to $25,000 donation. The foundation returned the money in 2013, after a court-appointed receiver sued to recover funds for swindled investors.
InnoVida approached OPIC in late 2009 through its lobbyist Mantz, according to an OPIC email. Initially the company said it wanted the loan to build a panel manufacturing facility in Haiti. OPIC reportedly expressed interest in the idea, but InnoVida allegedly neglected to pay a $20,000 retainer and dropped out of contact that December.
On Jan. 13, 2010, the day after the earthquake in Haiti, Osorio reached out again to OPIC’s renewable energy director Lynn Tabernacki, this time with a proposal to build houses on the island.
After that discussion, Tabernacki said her team rushed to approve the project, working “day and night and weekends to make sure that we followed all of our credit policies and procedures to get it done as quickly as possible.”
Tabernacki helped InnoVida’s chief finance officer write the loan application, telling him in a Jan. 19 email to “[p]lease let me know when you’ve finished so that I can immediately send it to our policy group.”
Two days later, Tabernacki and another OPIC official flew to Miami to visit the InnoVida offices. During the meeting, Osorio reiterated to Tabernacki he was in close contact with Bill Clinton and that he had Hillary Clinton’s “ear” at the State Department.
Five days later, on Jan. 26, Tabernacki sent a memo to her supervisors at OPIC requesting approval for the InnoVida loan.
She wrote that InnoVida was “well placed to support the recovery efforts in Haiti,” noting its relationship with the Clinton Global Initiative and “U.S. persons of political influence that are able to assist in advancing the company’s plans.”
“Former president Bill Clinton is personally in contact with the company to organize its logistical and support needs,” added Tabernacki. “[InnoVida board member] Wesley Clark is arranging for military transport of the initial structural panels. Steven Green (former CEO of Samsonite Corporation and former ambassador to Singapore) will provide barge space on ocean vessels, when necessary, to ship the factory components. And secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, has made available State Department resources to assist with logistical arrangements.”
Tabernacki later testified that this memo was based on claims from Osorio, and she did not take any steps to corroborate the information. However, she said the part about Hillary Clinton was accurate.
“The Hillary Clinton aspect was true, because at that point, we had—not myself, but there were others within OPIC that had been making arrangements with the State Department for the activities that were going on the ground [in Haiti],” said Tabernacki.
InnoVida was the only company to receive an OPIC loan for a Haiti-related project in 2010, according to the agency’s annual report.
Senior OPIC officials green-lighted the InnoVida loan the same day Tabernacki sent the approval request. At the time, the company had yet to turn over any financial statements. Lawyers for OPIC and InnoVida had still not negotiated certain contractual terms.
While OPIC typically requires companies to turn over audited financial information before receiving a loan, it granted InnoVida a six-month extension. The company turned over an unaudited financial statement—reportedly based on questionable numbers—on January 28, two days after the loan was approved.
Tabernacki testified that the agency expedited the approval process because it was trying to expand relief efforts in Haiti after the earthquake.
The defense attorney who cross-examined Tabernacki was not available to comment because he died shortly after the case ended. His client, InnoVida’s CFO Craig Toll, was sentenced to four years in prison for his role in the company.
The NLPC said an investigation into OPIC is necessary.
“When a criminal like Osorio steals money meant for earthquake victims, the public is entitled to answers,” said Boehm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sicaindia2
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com